The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Seven as a (very) second car
(04-04-2020, 08:39 AM)Austin in the Shed Wrote: My Raleigh RSW 16 (Circa 1970),was fitted with white tyres and I remember they didn't last that long.I had an accessory speedometer fitted on it. I fitted the Raleigh Wisp moped tyres which were black and these lasted around 2,000 miles,about as long as the speedo cable.

In the 70's I had a lovely dark green Raleigh tourer with 3 speed Sturmey Archer gears, control on the handlebar, front and rear rim brakes, Brooks sprung leather saddle with saddle bag, rubber pedals, pump clipped to the front upright and full Miller lighting set.

Tube Investments at their best.
I used to work in Nottingham,The next island up the ring road was Raleigh Island.  According to Google some are still made in the UK.
Raleigh also produced motor cycles and three wheeled cars,which became the basis of Reliant,using Austin Seven engines.
They also produced motor cycles in the '60s The Wisp as already mentioned.I had as a first bike (Moped) a supermatic which was a very good bike.These were made under license from Motobecane.
As a 15/16 year old I built a monkey bike out of a c1962 Raleigh Roma scooter,made under licence from Autobianchi.
Always liked the Reliant Tree Wheeler - there was a Meccano Manual model of one which I 'improved' and added a Magic Motor. 

As far as I know this is still in a museum in  Marysville, country Victoria- I donated it following the 2009 bushfires.

I believe the first three wheelers from Reliant had R for Reliant because the original castings had R for Raleigh