The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Temporary fix & charging advice
I need to retain the overflow pipe on to the radiator header tank. I imagine it was soldered in place through the side wall of the tank. Unfortunately I cannot just pull it out of the tank & plug the hole as there is a lot of pipe inside the header tank and I can't remove it without damaging it.  I Just need to stop it leaking temporarily while I run the engine (and the car) around a bit. The rad will have to come off to do it properly, but what might hold it? Chewing gum, plumbers putty, araldite? I can't clean it up very well as access is not great so araldite probably won't hold. nor would fibreglass resin.
So something a bit better than a bodge!
Annoyingly the ammeter is showing a discharge, the dynamo reads lots of volts across it's terminals and it used to show a charge before I rewired it....where do I start? I suppose the *****switch board will have to come off ...again!
Try Leak Fix for a temporary repair its available from wickes,Clean well with White Spirit and smear on liberally.
Quik metal may work as well but if there is any vibration it may fail.
Thanks...I think it does need to be a bit flexible,
D
gob it up with silicone. Its twrrible stuff, but sticks like to a blanket, waterproof and vibro proof
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source...6wH01LWQSb

This is the stuff to use.
Sounds good! ....and you can safely drink the radiator water, it won't contaminate it!
Now to sort out the charging...it has worked since re wiring so it can't be so difficult......................
d
I think it depends on the size of the hole. The Fernox sealant says it will need some reinforcement if there's much of a gap. Given you say you may not be able to clean right up to the leak point because of access, I'd go with Hedd's suggestion and clart it up with silicone, although I find when using it that it has a nasty habit of sticking to absolutely everything except the bit you want it to.
The fernox product is I believe a water cured silicone mastic. You need reinforcement for a mains pressure leak, such as a leather patch lathered in ls-x held by a jubilee clip, but unless you have a gaping hole,  it is in my experience ideal.
It is just the 1/4" overflow pie that has come adrift. I have made a bracket to stop it flapping about, so some jollop should stop the serious dribble!
"Jollop" - another rather apt collective noun!