The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1923 A7 Colour Advertisement - just discovered!
Here it is (more time for idle hands) as Mike Costigan retreats from the frozen garage and applies his considerable artistic skills to a colour rendering of "How Dinky" (the original is below). Now, where are all my other early ads for Mike to spend more time on..... Ah! Found them....hopefully, more will be coming (unless the weather improves).

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Automatic lubrication?
(01-04-2020, 02:23 PM)Steve kay Wrote: Automatic lubrication?
I suppose it's possible that many potential customers for an early Seven would have been familiar with the various cyclecars and motorcycle combinations on offer. A feature of some engines fitted to these would have been a total-loss lubrication system, a hand pump delivering shots of oil at the whim of the driver. An engine with a pumped supply from a sump might just have been a selling point - though it's perhaps more likely that the illustration below would have been number one on the list:

Attached Files
.jpg   Chummy and sidecar.jpg (Size: 482.27 KB / Downloads: 299)
With all these images that Tony is coming up with, I would be really interested to find any illustrations that might be signed 'Douglas Maxfield' Some of you may recall the article I wrote on him in the Grey Mag a while back. I'd be delighted to find other images that could be attributed to him. If you see any, could you let me know, please? Thanks..
What year did the Mercedes SL take over to become the car of choice to buy for your mistress?
1923 was somewhat removed from the days of drip sight oil feeders etc. Many motorcycles and the Chev 4 car required oil can attention for the ohv rocker gear and guides.
Adverts obviously not aimed at the common worker who at that stage in the UK would not be in the market for new car ownership.
I have a late 1922 catalogue for 1923. The Seven is listed as L225. A Model T tourer L175!!
What is the reference to the book please?
The persons in the advert are dressed as for the American adverts for Stutz and the many other expensive exotics marketed then!
(01-04-2020, 02:23 PM)Steve kay Wrote: Automatic lubrication?

Well you don't have to pump it  Big Grin

(01-04-2020, 12:37 PM)Tony Griffiths Wrote: Here it is (more time for idle hands) as Mike Costigan retreats from the frozen garage and applies his considerable artistic skills to a colour rendering of "How Dinky" (the original is below). Now, where are all my other early ads for Mike to spend more time on..... Ah! Found them....hopefully, more will be coming (unless the weather improves).

Interesting- where are the stripes on his scarf and the pattern on her hat in the coloured version ?
Tony,

The scarf has stripes, but I must admit I overlooked the patterned hat!

.jpg   2020-03.01 crop.jpg (Size: 209.94 KB / Downloads: 159)
Ah - look more closely ! Big Grin