The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Re-profiling my cam followers.
Hi Ian,

Can you post some photos of the jig please

Cheers

Marcus
You can come over and use it once we are out of lockdown Marcus.
Black Art Enthusiast
Thanks Ian,

Athow got a set done for me along with the cam grind from Paul Bonewell. I haven't seen them yet as Athow hasn't been up to Auckland and don't expect he will for a while.

I will pop round when the lockdown is over, maybe we could have a go at putting that '26 back axle together.

Cheers

Marcus
(02-04-2020, 08:45 PM)Ian Williams Wrote: I have made pivoted jigs to re-profile followers on a linisher much as Roger described his father did on a lathe, keep then square and finish the surface on an oil stone.

Ian,

Would you be happy to post some pictures of your jig, please?

Regards,

Jamie.
(02-04-2020, 03:43 PM)Austin in the Shed Wrote: How did he regrind his cams .Roger.Have you any pictures ?

No, no pictures, sorry. However, if you visit the Atwell Wilson motor museum near Calne, Wiltshire, you can see his old garage re-erected and there's a reconstruction of his cam-grinder.
He held the shaft in a sliding frame that also pivoted on the bed of the lathe, again with a stone in its chuck. The frame was set up parallel to the lathe bed, and in operation was swung toward the grindstone. The amount ground off was determined by pausing to refer to a micrometer. It was very much a hands-on job, though since he'd served an apprenticeship in his younger days, and developed hand skills I could only envy, it was easy for him.
With a lathe, electric drill, grinding wheel, a few simple brackets, care and patience camshafts can be moderately reprofiled as I have described previously. However is our hobby Austin Sevens or just Austin Seven specials? Once done there is no going back. it is unfortunate that the few very good shafts are selected and  irretrievably altered.
 Note that the diagrams in the Williams special book should be ignored. Copied directly the car would not run.
Well, it wouldn’t do Prescot in less than 51 seconds but that was good enough in the early 80s.
Alan Fairless
Bob, not all reground shafts were high-lift, Many came with urgent need to be straightened, tried, and restored to original.
Your point is taken though. Today it's much more relevant than back in the 50s and 60s!