The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CAV DEL type dynamo question
I've had other things happening with the car but have at last returned to the dynamo and in the meantime some new brushes arrived from club stock so after fitting them I now have about 10 amps net which is a great result considering the old ones looked just fine and measured OK as well.  So now I have adjusted the 3rd brush to a max of 8 amps.

The built in resistor that is in the field coils on this model was measuring 0 ohms so no charging on Summer setting so I have fitted an external 3 ohm 50W resistor hidden under the dash, now on Summer setting it's doing about 2-3 amps so all good there.

Serves me right for over complicating a simple fix.
Cheers

Mark
Hi Mark

You would seem to be the possessor of that rare item a Seven dynamo in good shape. The windings are not cooked black, solder not thrown, and windings well secured with varnish.The marks on commutator suggest brushes may not have been contacting properly. Perhaps the comm has been cut down so far that part worn brushes do not reach.
That could be the answer Bob we will see how long the new ones last
Cheers

Mark