The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cheapest Austin Seven ever 'sold'??
On a recent visit to Guernsey, I was interested to find several mentions of Austin Sevens (and one of a 12/4...) in the wonderful Occupation Museum. The photos attached tell the story somewhat briefly, and needless to say I was uable to find out whether the car survived the occupation.
What is rather special is the praise, as laid out in the formal letter, for the longevity of the Seven engine, and just think how the erstwhile owner would have been amazed at the number of survivors today.

True satisfaction is the delayed fulfilment of ancient wish
Not exactly sure what's going on there - a compulsory purchase order perhaps, at the buyer's price? 

Puts me in mind of certain car manufacturing plants which have recently been sold for 1 Russian rouble.
Interesting to see Mr Tickle valued his car at £55 in 1942. I don't know how Guernsey car values were affected during the war, but just pre-war on the UK mainland he would have been lucky to get £10 for it!
What’s interesting is that the reg no mentioned in the letter doesn’t tie up with the reg no in the photo, wonder what the story I was. Maybe as Mike K says there were at least two Sevens  - possibly being carved up to make the tractor(s)…
True satisfaction is the delayed fulfilment of ancient wish
(22-06-2023, 04:37 PM)Chris KC Wrote: Not exactly sure what's going on there - a compulsory purchase order perhaps, at the buyer's price? 

Puts me in mind of certain car manufacturing plants which have recently been sold for 1 Russian rouble.

That's what it looks like to me too, compulsory purchase by the occupying forces rather than a genuine sale.

Rathole alert: 
Mr Tickle was no typist! Typewriters of that era normally had no key for the number 1. An amateur compensates by using a capital I (I), a trained typist knows to use a lowercase L (l).
Ernest Tickle, what a brilliant name!