The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No Austin 7s but a Fascinating Story.
Not Much of an Engineer !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oX130uh9...e=youtu.be
Thanks Tony. A wonderful story, wonderfully told. 
From what I have read the not unrefined fuel inj German engines of larger capacity were handicapped, from the Battle of Britain to the end, by fuel of considerably reduced octane rating, which limited the supercharger pressure they could utilise.
Excellent! Thanks for posting it Tony. I love the fact that to 'get things done' all it took was a phone call or a dinner with the right person. Goodness knows, we could do with a bit of that right now...

I found it doubly interesting because only a couple of weeks ago I was fortunate enough to attend a lecture by Ian Whittle, the son of Sir Frank Whittle. He was talking about the development of the jet engine as done by his father, as well as many other engineers around the world, and he told us how important Hooker had been to the success of Sir Frank's design.
I can thoroughly recommend Stanley Hooker's autobiography "Not Much of an Engineer". Available on Kindle.
Jim
Stanley Hooker's autobiography "Not Much of an Engineer" is a very good read. Beaten to the gun.
One of the few books I couldn't put down.
Another is Neville Shute's "Slide Rule".
Jim