The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DK4A distributor service replacements
I came across an old Barry Riseley post on distributors, where he referred to theĀ 

"Service replacement distributors were lablelled either Service No's 400206 or 40224/S. (and I think the different numbers simply reflect a change in the Lucas numbering system, rather than a change in Distributor characteristics).It is interesting to note that these later types were also specified for a range of other Austin cars of the 1930's (were supplied without clamp plate and drive gear)"

I have found a 40224 A which I think may be sameĀ but from an Austin 8 or 10 - manufactured 1951. No drive gear or drilling. Does anyone know what the difference in characteristics are? It looks absolutely identical but I haven't started to strip it yet.

.jpg   DK4.JPG (Size: 82.77 KB / Downloads: 220)

Looking at the specs here (below) I would venture that the /S was a vacuum advance unit (those 2 additional part numbers are for vac advance unit & bracket) - otherwise identical. An 'A' suffix usually stands for 'auto advance'.

The 40224 or 40224/S was specified as a service replacement for a number of different parts of similar specification, most likely they differ in drive gear fitting details but highly likely they can be made to fit a Seven.

.jpg   Capture.JPG (Size: 9.77 KB / Downloads: 208)

.jpg   Capture1.JPG (Size: 35.37 KB / Downloads: 208)
very interesting Chris - so perhaps Barry's 2006 post was a little bit wrong. The chap on ebay had misread the code (or at least completely misquoted it) but fortunately the picture on the side of the unit revealed.

The 7-8.5 degrees is presumably a wider catch-all, or a more rigorous appraisal of their action, 15 years further on...

Any advice on drilling for end gear? I was thinking it would be possible using an old gear as a guide, but is an easy enough job or an engineers one?

.jpg   Capture1.JPG (Size: 65.07 KB / Downloads: 178)

I would personally not attempt it without a vee block and a decent bench drill and a nice sharp drill bit, but I happen to have those things! There's quite a high risk of not going through quite straight.
Brilliant - I shall make a V block and buy a new bit - I've got the pillar drill.
thankyou.