The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
TYPE 65 / NIPPY FRONT AXLE "UPDATE"
Perhaps someone else with an original axle can check those two positions?? It would be good to know if that is what happened in the factory...
David Howe has confirmed my suspicions:  the Austin factory produced the Sports front axle from a standard forging, hence they have 1A numbers forged on them; they 'stretched' them in the re-forging process so that they are the same length as the standard axle.  The axles were then stamped with  9C numbers for Ulsters and 9E for later Nippy etc.  The cross tube levers and steering arm have 9C numbers forged in on Ulsters and the cranked down cross tube levers are keyed into the stub axles to prevent twisting.

On the Ulster the springs were produced outside the factory and stamped with 9C numbers on both S/C and un-S/C Ulsters.  Parts common to the S/C cars and un-S/C cars always had 9C numbers, parts for the un-S/C car, like the cylinder head, had 9E numbers.
I had some crops tube levers that were stamped 9B.
Or was it 9D??

So it appears to be a genuine axle, possibly 35 Nippy, that someone has fitted with a Big 7 steering arm, for the reasons that people did.
Seems like a tickety boo sports item.
Excellent to have David's information too confirmed. So Rob, is it likely that this is THE original bit from your car, that was taken off, perhaps needing overhaul... when the then owner put something else on?
Hi R,

That looks like 9C to me, with some left over cast in the curve of the C?

I must admit I've had plenty sports axle in, but never looked for the 9E or 9C stamped on them. 

But they have all been embossed with a 1A number.

I have an unusual ulster/nippy/grasshopper axle here, but cant get pictures to load on the forum at the moment.

Sorry, tony.
It could be - I gave this particular arm to a friend - he may be able to clean it up better and get a clearer shot.

Email me the photos and I will attempt to put them up for you.

If you have a good pair of oval backplate type stub axles I would like to buy them from you please (along with some offset shoes), thank you.
Tony’s axle...

Presumably a late Nippy axle, as the Girling style beam did not need drilling for the second radius arm bolt?