The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Klaxet Horn Help
I've just purchased a Klaxet in nice shape. Obviously repainted. It works well. However, one of the terminals is quite loose and I can't properly tighten the terminal nut. Taking the trumpet off, reveals that the interior hasn't been touched in many moons. There is a motor obstructing a screw. The only visible way to get the motor out is by a screw at the back which has one of those odd two pin screws. Possibly, I could use circlip pliers to get the motor out, but is this what I want to do? Will I put my eye out with a spring or stare in disbelief as the hole apparatus explodes into the shop?

Erich
Hi Erich,

That's interesting, me too! Though the one I've bought (awaiting delivery) is a 'spares or repair' so I'm expecting to 'restore' it. Any pics or tips would thus be most welcome.

I'm by no means sure, but isn't the nut at the back for tone adjustment?

I know one chap who could help you - google 'The Klaxon Man' - he's in Australia but seems to have all the parts & know-how. I haven't yet made contact but he's the back-up plan when mine pings into myriad small bits.
I bought and restored my Klaxet 45 years ago and haven't had to do anything to it since, despite being fitted to my daily driver.

As far as I remember, there were no booby traps set for the unwary! The screw on the back adjusts the pressure applied to the diaphragm (for tuning) and (I think) also holds the motor in place.
Chris and Martin, I did get this from the Klaxon Man in Australia and have also emailed him. The screw at the back does move the motor in and to rub against the nipple on the diaphragm...oh that didn't sound quite right. Anyway, there is an outer threaded tube underneath the end covering nut, and an inner threaded piece with two pin holes on the top. Moving the outer tube moves the motor close to or away from the diaphragm, but it can't be completely unscrewed. Perhaps the brushes need to be removed first. The T shaped piece at the back appears to be for minor tuning adjustment.
(03-11-2017, 04:28 PM)Erich Wrote: Chris and Martin, I did get this from the Klaxon Man in Australia and shave also emailed him. The screw at the back does move the motor in and to rub against the nipple on the diaphragm...oh that did sound quite right. Anyway, there is an out threaded tube underneath the end covering nut, and an inner threaded piece with two pin holes on the top. Moving the outer tube moves the motor close to or away from the diaphragm, but it can't be completely unscrewed. Perhaps the brushes need to be removed first. The T shaped piece at the back appears to be for minor tuning adjustment.

I take it the 2 nuts on the side don't free the motor casing? Let's hope Robert can sort you out Erich; if not mine should be here any day now and I'll have a go at it (being a non-working horn I probably have less to lose than you if it goes bad!)
Chris,there are two large nuts and two small nuts one of each on each side. The larger ones carry the brushes, the smaller ones are the terminals. The one at the back moves the motor and is the motor carrier.Still no word from Robert. I did buy a selection of tools, including more circlip pliers and may be able to remove the motor now.