The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TYPE 65 / NIPPY FRONT AXLE
Ian - so those are the rarer interim ones?
Rob - just scan old pics... we could do a feature on how its changed over time?
But yes, I'll put up pics of the axle just from these ones posted.
What is your present axle on the car - do you know if its an original too?

btw, Ian/Ruairidh/others - have you ever found stamped chassis numbers on the centre base of sports front axles? Anything on this one, Rob?
Yes, Jon. My limited knowledge believe so. the steering arm heavier gauge

Jon, Steve Jones suggests there was a 9E mid beam top. I will have a look tomorrow and let you guys know, if yes will take a pic for reference

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

What is the betting on the steering arm. May have fared better on a light car. 7:1 in the radius, 15:1 in the shoulder?
RPM, I would be surprised if you find a 9E on the axle photographed fitted to the car, looks to be a modified Semi Girling beam with standard radius arms on fabricated drop links.
Jon, yes that is what I was referring to. And as far as for chassis numbers on original sports beams I can add nothing useful to the conversation I am afraid.
Black Art Enthusiast
A question to RD. Please enlighten me (and for the benefit of others of course) as to how you can tell.
Thanks.

Yours in ignorance,

Paul N-M
Paul, a standard axle will have a chamfer for the radius arm on the back face of the axle, whereas the sports axle's radius arm has a through bolt so no chamfer needed.
As Mike says, standard axle...

...and Sports axle.

With regards to the oval backplates in general - these are the last of the Austin type and take the offset shoes.

This system is most effective and perhaps my favourite from all production.
That is intruiging, Ruairidh - what is the reasoning for why more efficient out of interest? Was Girling compromised but adopted for business reasons?
Most as in particularly rather than greatest.

My favourite - based on the look and my experience using them.