The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TYPE 65 / NIPPY FRONT AXLE
The only trouble with this type is you can't get replacement back plates (AFAIK) I had to bin some a while back that were sadly badly rusted..
The advantage is that the pivot points are further apart thus increasing the leverage. The brake shoes are different as well to allow for this.
Quite correct Bruce and Hugh - for information, they produced aluminium and cast iron shoes for this system - I can post some photos of these later today.
Thanks guys.

Paul N-M
Couple of positives with the shoes being different.

they are more plentiful as 1 1/4 shoes.

And far far cheaper than the earlier shoes.

Well worth building these type of axles up for cars.

Tony.
Tony - are you saying the shoes are the same for the previous system as for the oval backplate 1 1/4s? Just trying to work it out i.e. if pivot points are different?

Or are you saying that they are different, but just cheaper as there were a lot of 1935/6 cars made, or the parts have survived better?
Photos from yesterday for those interested.

Standard shoe.

Cast iron offset shoe.

Aluminium offset shoe.

hi jonE,

the two types of 1 1/4 are different shoes. they dont fit each other

the problem if it is a problem, is the earlier type 1 1/4 made 1933 to 1934. will fit all cars 1927 to 1934. in dirrect replacement of 1 inch shoes. so because so many people have used them for earlier cars trying to get better brakeing. this type of 1 1/4 are now very hard to find. and when you do they are usually very expensive to buy.

because the latter 1 1/4 shoes only fit the oval backplated stubs. LESS people use them, so they are sort after LESS. (more of them about).  hence when they come up for sale, they are usually very cheap.

supply and demand.

thanks tony