The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Trim fixing
I am replacing the trim boards on the sides of in the footwell of my AG tourer. None with the car. I have made the boards and covered them -including the opening air vents! On the door A posts there are tabs with 3/16 holes clearly for attaching the boards (I cannot see any tabs or holes further forward ? Are there?)
The question is how is the board fixed to the tab? In 1932 there were no self tappers, so no  edge clips to take a tapper, a nut cannot be held in place & rivnuts were not yet invented!
The only thing I can think of is to put a strip of wood down the inside of the A post.behind the tabs...which still leaves the question of how to fix the panel further forward
My suggestion is to use nutserts, similar to pop rivets but give you something to screw into
Buy an Austin 7 they said, It's easy to work on they said !
That is an option, but I wondered how it was done in 1932![Image: smile.png]
I don't know about the AG, but the AH, to my knowledge, never had trim panels fitted to the scuttle sides, so I very much doubt that the AG did either. The scuttle side was simply painted black. Same as contemporary box saloons, surely?
Regarding the 3/16" hole, I too am curious about that. I am pretty certain it's for a wiring clip (for cables running to the car's rear) fixed inside the "tab".
Surely if you put a trim panel on the driver's side it will compromise the inset for your right foot? There is certainly no evidence of my RP ever having anything attached thereto, or on the nearside. Perhaps they are later additions like the ones in the overpriced Red and Black RP thread. I would have thought simplicity would have been the order of the day especially for the tourer interior being more exposed to the elements.
One of the photos in the Overpriced RP thread shows the correct type of interior sill trim panel covered in fawn carpet, although that particular one looks to me to have been made about an inch too high. This is all you had in respect of side trim at the front. There was never any trim panel on the inside of the scuttle above this, though I have seen quite a number of over-restored cars with a made up panel somehow fitted. And yes, I have found that the driver's right foot does indeed rub against this area enough to quickly wear a hole through the carpet. My AH Tourer is away at the trimmers at the moment, I shall have to be more careful with my right foot in future!
Thanks for the replies 
I will have another look! Also at the Chummy and the RK, both of which were restored in the 70/80's so are not a reliable guide. If I don't  need side panels ok.
The next issue is the rear wheel arch covering. This AG certainly had the remains of little bifurcated rivets on what was left of the wheelarch, but the trim was vinyl covered padding. Should they be thin ply covered in suitable material? If so does anyone have a kit or templates? My woodworking skills are non existent. ....
Based on my RP, running over the top of the wheel arch, close up to the side of the body, should be a strip of ply, maybe an inch wide (from memory) that the trim can be tacked to. That is held in place on the wheel arch by the bifurcated rivets. The tacked area is then concealed by way of the interior vertical trim side panel that houses the window. There is another small piece of ply at the base of the wheel arch at the front to tack the bottom of the trim to. Originally the trim was leather cloth with (again, if I recall correctly) a little bit of horse hair beneath it...

hth...