The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Something to look forward to
As we are all confined to the home and garage, I think we need something to look forward to.   There is the 100 year anniversary of the Austin 7 coming up in 2022 but hopefully life will get back to something like normal well before then.
I am always thinking about future road runs and would welcome ideas and suggestions from Forum contributors.   In the past my runs could be 175 miles in the day over very demanding roads but in recent years I have come to realise that about 120 miles a day is preferable, with ample time for comfort and coffee stops at country pubs and overnight stops in nice hotels.
I will start the thread with a suggestion for a 'River Tweed Run'.
The idea would be to start at Berwick upon Tweed and follow the river as closely as possible to its source, crossing it by all the bridges that would have existed in the 1930's.
Using the Bartholemew 1/2" to the mile map 41 Tweeddale, which can be downloaded from the superb National Library of Scotland website, a route can be planned.   A couple of the old bridges are now closed to traffic but could be visited and inspected on foot.
The route would take in the worlds oldest suspension bridge and the Border towns of Coldstream, Kelso, Melrose and Peebles, which I would use for the overnight stop.
Day 2 would continue on some quite challenging roads to the source of the river Tweed near the Devils Beef Tub just north of Moffat.
A second night stay could be near Carlisle.

Has anyone any plans for a major centenary run in 2022?
How about re-running some of the MCC Trials of the 1930s? I have a car that took part in the Edinburgh Trial of 1933. I wonder if I could improve on its Bronze Award.
Alan Fairless
I thought something on the lines of a relay run/rally would perhaps be popular starting and finishing at Longbridge with a route over a number of days that would cover all the country England, Scotland Wales and Northen Ireland. People could just do the leg covering there part of the country and return home at night or do two or three days staying in hotels. Some may want to do it all from start to finish. The choice would be open to the participants.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
Cannot wait for that Malcolm.  Smile
Malcolm, thank you for the most cheering thing I've read in the last couple of days. Berwick upon Tweed to Carlisle, with the chance to motor gently past Ullswater on the way home sounds idyllic!
(24-03-2020, 03:04 PM)Colin Wilks Wrote: Malcolm, thank you for the most cheering thing I've read in the last couple of days. Berwick upon Tweed to Carlisle, with the chance to motor gently past Ullswater on the way home sounds idyllic!

Yes, this sounds like a great route and I like the mention of Ullswater — I did an Outward Bound course there in 1960 — a wee while ago now.
its good to have plans for the future in this dismal period. I wonder what sort of world we shall return to when this is over. Meanwhile I am enjoying the quietness here in rural Norfolk— very few cars and aeroplanes etc. If we had a few more horses clip clopping along it would take us back to a pre Industrial Age.
That sounds like a great run Malcolm. We have always enjoyed the Pennine Runs too. Is there a chance it would be over a weekend?
Thanks Malcolm, something to look forward to.