The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Headlamp Construction - Advice Please
Hi,

Has anyone got any photographs showing how the headlamp rim should be fixed to the bowl on my “Ulsteroid”?

Some years ago I built up some headlamps using brass spinnings with modified Mini reflectors which were fitted with flat stippolite glass and held in place with mastic. I cobbled up the connection between the rim and bowl by just fixing it with three 8 BA screws and actually the result looks quite OK.

However, now that I have some enforced time at home I thought I’d try to do something better but don’t really know how the originals were assembled and, at the moment, can’t really go out to see one.

Any photos / diagrams / advice would be appreciated.

John.
Hello John. I'm assuming it's Lucas R47 type lamps that you have. If you email me at stuart.joseph@btinternet.com I will send you some photos as I find it impossible to post photos on this forum.

Regards from the creative county - Staffordshire

Stuart
Stuart, as this question has been asked before it might be helpful to others to have some photos in this thread. If you send them to me as attachments I'll upload them for you - send them to editor@a7ca.org.
Here are the photos from Stuart together with his comments:

·        The rims are fitted to the bowls of R47 headlamps by means of three small ‘Tee’ shaped lugs (which are attached to the rims) and which engage in three slots in the bowls.
·        Photograph 1 shows a slot in an original bowl. Note the closed circular end of the slot is ‘off centre’. This is deliberate as it enables the rim to move forward slightly when fully engaged under pressure from the reflectors which are spring loaded. This is an attempt to prevent the rim becoming detached when in use on the car ! It should be noted that the slot/lug arrangement is the reverse on the R40 headlamp which is dimensionally similar to the R47 although the Rim is considerably larger.
·        Photograph 2 shows one of the ‘tee’ shaped lugs. Note that it is rivetted to the rim though a slotted plate. The purpose of the tabs on the plate is to locate the headlamp glass centrally it does not hold it in place – this is achieved via pressure from the reflector.
·        Photograph 3 shows the modification which I use when manufacturing new R47’s. I only use the two top slots and silver solder a 4 BA nut to the inside of the bowl.
·        Photograph 4 shows a 4BA screw which passing through the rim into the nut and ensures the rim cannot accidentally be removed.

Regards from the creative county – Staffordshire

Stuart