The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do they think we are all stupid?
Could it be that the Guardian tries to disguise itself as a newspaper for liberal thinking middle class types but is actually full of pinko jurnalists who typically went to grammar school then the LSE and convey a whif of 'do as I say' rather than 'do as I do'. 
Readers may of course also take solus from persuading themselves they really are liberal middle class thinkers.

On the other hand the Daily Mail is full on in your face with an obvious agenda and probably the only thing most takers will read that day which is of course the very market the paper wants to influence.

Am I painting a caricature? Am I being too cynical?

Compare and Contrast. 2000 words on my desk by Friday please.

Of course many households/offices used to take many titles daily so readers were exposed to a much broader view. 

Paul N-M
The Grauniad probably won't last much longer as a print paper as it & it's fellow papers are subsidised heavily by a trust. Perhaps the press should be nationalised too & moved back to Fleet Street so all the Spanish Practices could flourish again![Image: biggrin.png]
I am curious to know what is the newspaper without an “in your face”agenda and the allegedly hidden agenda of the Guardian. What is the point in reading a newspaper owned by the billionaire Barclay brothers or the delightful Mr R Murdoch? You are hardly likely to get an unbiased view from those 3. Perhaps this should have gone under the contribution “Are we Stoopid?
As an unashamed Grauniad reading Seven/2CV owner, I think it is time to move on, or maybe take a few steps back, or at least to a stop lock in Cheshire, where Tim Leech operated. 

The workshop contents were removed I think by Mike Cockrell, the towpath being accessible for 4w trailers reversed down from the cottages above the tunnel end. The submarine lathe story may or may not be true, was it a Boxford, a Myford or a pillar drill? There is a recovery involving hire boats, unknown to the hirers, which can be discussed in private as one sincerely hopes it is apocryphal. I have been promised pictures of the removal of a Petter PD4 from the side of the dry dock, involving scaffolding and Tirfor winches unless those involved in the operation do not wish to be recognised, either by their wives or their insurance companies.

Was Arthur Howard still with us in the late 80s? Whilst Taylors Yard was built by the Shropshire Union for maintenance and building of narrow boats and indeed wide beam carrying craft was the original intention, the use of the yard for building pleasure boats had gone on for a long time. These were both privately owned boats as referred to by Bruce, and the big mahogany River Dee trip boats, Bithell Boat as I recall, was the owner Ted? Arthur was a brilliant boatbuilder, and in the busy run up to the start of the season heavy handed narrow boat stranglers were sent to help Arthur. Steaming ash timbers, delicate copper riveting, working with thin hard wood planks, he was very good at showing how it should be done, and very patient with those wanting to observe and learn. David Jones was somewhere between Arthur's boss and his patron. Bruce, which boat was yours?

As for the list of pubs in Sandbach once  famous for lock-ins, someone will have to explain to the younger forum users how, barely after Queen Victoria left the throne, pubs were meant to close in the afternoon. Right, before we find out how many Sevenists ever had a pint, or two, in the Commercial in Wheelock it's time to go back to the workshop.
The lathe was recovered next day and after a liberal dose of duck oil and drying out was not much worse for it.

C
The Commercial in Wheelock. A weird pub with a strange landlord. Firstly he would decide if the pub was going to open that day, then he’d decide if he was going to serve you. Good beer though. Closed a couple of years back.

And the Cheshire Cheese on the other side of the bridge wasn’t bad either.
Alan Fairless
Hi All

Wasn’t completely truthful regarding my pub exploits in Cheshire in an earlier post but I had to be careful.  My fathers aunt (my great aunt?) ran the Chequers in Sandbach and as a boy my father “holidayed” at the Kinderton Arms on the towpath near Middlewhich.  Landlords were a close knit bunch as I found when returning home to be informed By Dad exactly which pub I’d visited as an underage drinker!

Cheers

Howard
In 1992 my only car as a student was an RN saloon, I used to travel between Glasgow and Bristol each term in it to visit my parents.

It took about three days each way, the very first journey home I stayed with Tony and Anne Griffiths in Wardlow - a little off piste if you google a direct route!  They looked after us very well and we are still in touch today - thank you.

Latterly I took a route to Westmoreland, then to through the Birkenhead Tunnel and on through places like Northwich, Middlewich and Nantwich.  After this we would normally head towards Dave and Hillary Tedham's place near Bewdley and then on to Bristol the next day.

This was all before SatNav - we used a huge number of OS maps to keep us on the smallest roads - it was fabulous and I miss it greatly.

We were to do the very same route this summer in our 1926 Austin H 12/4 Clifton, to surprise my niece by taking her to the Grad. ball at the hotel and in the same car her mother got married in.  This secret was divulged to her and my sister last week when it became clear to me that it was not going to happen just now.

Stay safe everyone.
(23-03-2020, 11:22 PM)Steve kay Wrote: , remote ones like the Bird in Hand for instance.

Blimey, The Bird in Hand - Mow Cop? I once got snowed in there. I had tramped across the fields in the snow to visit Little Moreton Hall and got soaked. The landlady of the Bird (in t'Hand) took my wet clothes and offered to dry them by her fire. When we went back in the evening, there were two people in the pub - the Landlady and her next door neighbour (we are talking remote, here) It was the most wonderful night I ever had in a pub. There was no bar - it was, what I call, an ale house. She had to lift a trap door in the floor and descend to the cellar to return with a large enamel jug of foaming beer as the 4 of us sat round the fire and chewed the fat. A was a true priviledge to spend such a night as that... Pubs like that just dont exist any more...
The Bird in Hand closed down late 1990s I guess.
Alan Fairless