The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do they think we are all stupid?
When I was a child Saturday trips into Birmingham inevitably involved a step through the door in the wall to the basin. Here you entered a Victorian underworld. Loved it then. Not been there for 10 plus years so it has probably lost even more of that atmosphere than when I last saw it.
I don't think "Chip Fryer" was intended as an insult, but referred to the curved cowling over the engine, as it was air cooled. This might, if you squinted perhaps, look like the sliding cover over the range in the chippie, not to be confused with the gleaming Zeebrited Epping in the back cabin of course!

I reckon the forum is dividing into two clans, them as went to the jazz club off Gas Street, and them as came through that very easily missed little wooden door to enter what was another world. Mind you, there might be one or two folk who have no idea what is being talked about.
Very good description Steve, although I'd never heard it called a chip fryer before. I sometimes think air cooled is not a bad bet though. I frequently have to run up the gunwale, dive into the engine 'ole and brush the water inlet clear of leaves, mud etc, but I agree the vent is not a thing of beauty. Air cooled also means fewer holes below the water line to worry about. We needed to rebuild the starter motor after a certain person left the stop cock open whilst some plumbing work was being done and the engine bilge filled while we were in the pub. (Cue for all the old boaters to cry as one "Starter motors. Them's for girls!")

I should explain for any seveners who we have not yet put to sleep, a water cooled engine in a narrow boat pumps its cooling water from the canal, this then goes through a heat exchanger which carries the engine coolant, and is then expelled out of the side of the boat. The steerer keeps his eye on this water exhaust to ensure the engine doesn't overheat.
The cry used to be "Them's for girls." It has now got a bit longer "....and them as has bus passes!"

Actually, if you are worried about "Severners" that'll be forum contributors deafened by standing over the engine, with the back cabin in front, those motors built at Charlie Hill's yard in Bristol. Were the engines originally big Bolinders? Certainly a Chip Fryer or air cooled Armstrong would be no fun after a long day on the counter.
So the thread started with 'bog roll' and ended with narrow boats ????? HOW !!!
(the real funny thing is my 'friend' actually sold the b/roll to a chap down south) :-)
No, it doesn’t end with canal boats. Ocean racing, now. There’s a thought.
Alan Fairless
But on the subject of Birmingham Clubs, does anyone remember Henry’s Blues House, or even Mother’s?
Alan Fairless
(28-03-2020, 11:39 AM)Alan Wrote: Didn’t see you there - the Opposite Lock was a regular haunt while I was at university in Birmingham

I was at college in Birmingham 1971-74 and I used to go to Henry's as well. (Big Bear ?) Also a regular at the Arts Centre and the alternative bookshop next to Virgin Records. I gather that I wouldn't recognise anywhere in the centre any more.
Spent much time at Vale-Onslow's and the Velo spares shop in Acocks Green with my Dommie and Venom, no Seven but I did have a crummy mini-van for a few months.
I still have a soft spot for the place...
Yes, me too. I was at Aston Uni. 1968-72. Was never into bikes, but had a string of unsuitable cars. Notably an Alvis drophead before they became remotely collectible, and an Austin 10, which we towed back from south London. Never did understand why.
Alan Fairless
(29-03-2020, 10:42 AM)Alan Wrote: ...  Never did understand why.

We just did things like that; the only explanation I can offer is that "It seemed like a good idea at the time"!