The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For the oldies who need two doors....I defy you not to smile.
1923 - and an example of typically charming Austin publicity. To show how close this very early Chummy was to the cyclecar market, note the statement that, "The provision of a door for each [driver and passenger] appealed very strongly..."

The scan has been cleaned very carefully and enhanced. To download a high-resolution copy click the image; click again; right-click and select download or save, etc. It can be printed - with pretty good resolution - at up to A3.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Does that mean that we don't need to self isolate if we travel in an Austin ?
Thank you for that....and for telling us how to download it!
David
With  he age group of much of the Forum, very appropriate. They knew how to dress for the chill then.
The pleb expression "heaps off" not so modern after all.
Looks like grandma could lend some useful muscle on the handbrake.
Not sure that I would attempt any deliberate rear wheel slides with her alongside.
It's sobering to think that they probably lived through the whole of Queen Victoria's reign.
(20-03-2020, 05:26 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote: It's sobering to think that they probably lived through the whole of Queen Victoria's reign.
One always wonders if this generation experienced from, say 1842,  when around 10-years of age, a greater transformation in society than from 1940 to the present.
(20-03-2020, 05:59 PM)Tony Griffiths Wrote:
(20-03-2020, 05:26 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote: It's sobering to think that they probably lived through the whole of Queen Victoria's reign.
One always wonders if this generation experienced from, say 1842,  when around 10-years of age, a greater transformation in society than from 1940 to the present.

I guess their first experience of motor cars was when they were around 50 years old — the great transformation in their lives would be the coming of the railways and airplanes crossing the channel etc,
Strikes me that Austin was well up on sales promotion and wanted as wide a market as possible.
I think the arrival of the railways must have been the biggest game-changer ever. Suddenly whole communities that had never ventured beyond the outskirts of their own village or town could travel to the other end of the country and beyond. A bit like now being offered inter-planetary travel within the space of the next ten years or so.
(20-03-2020, 03:31 PM)Bob Culver Wrote: With  he age group of much of the Forum, very appropriate. They knew how to dress for the chill then.
The pleb expression "heaps off" not so modern after all.
Looks like grandma could lend some useful muscle on the handbrake.
Not sure that I would attempt any deliberate rear wheel slides with her alongside.
Here's what happened in a later generation when the good lady complained:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Ha ha! That reminds me of my grandmother when she was taken out in my uncle's brand new E-Type. Doing about 120mph down the Ipswich Road from Norwich, she had the temerity to ask if it would go any faster!