The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Full Girling rear brakes
Hi all, i'm up to my neck in a brake redesign on Patrick's Ulster project. The system will be mainly hydraulic, but i'm considering using the rod operated girling actuators i have, for the handbrake. I have a wiffle tree, rods, actuators from a late Ruby axle. What i'd like to see is a picture of the cross shaft end of this mechanism. There must be an upwards pointing lever on the cross shaft, to one side of the propshaft? Do any of you good folk have access to this area of the gubbins for a general arrangement photo? The cross shaft assembly in the chassis (at the moment) is an early ish coupled system, it is a late 1930 chassis. W
I posted pictures a while ago but can not remember the tread, if searching fails to bring them up I can re-post them when I return form my travels at the end of the week. The cross shaft you are looking for is fitted to the chassis I have just built up for my special I am not sure that I photographed it particularly clearly on that thread but it might be enough to tell you what you need to know.
Black Art Enthusiast
I binned the cross shaft & coupled handbrake and used a cable system operated by an uncoupled type handbrake, mounted backwards (push forward to operate). Works well.
Morris Minor van cables fitted well and had the right fixings for the wheel cylinders. Simple balance beam and threaded adjustment at the front where the cables end. 

C
Thanks chaps, still want the picture though. I'm not using the conventional MM brake conversion, but scratch making some wheel cylinders that install in place of the Girling adjusters. I've driven a push on handbrake equipped car and do no feel that in a car by & for a youngster, for racing, hillclimbing, trials etc. that it is a good idea. Over the years i have driven A7s with wholly inadequate brakes, barely adequate brakes and excellent brakes, The latter is the only one worth achieving! It has been a lot of work so far, and there is much more to do, and may ultimately be a blind alley.......Only time will tell. One of the design criteria is to end up with a good rear acting handbrake, for handbrake turns obvs.... W
Hi Winston,

these photos are from my friend's special, it is fitted with full Girling rod brakes at the rear. The rod on this type of system normally goes through a small hole in the rearmost cross member and is attached to a small swivel (I cannot remember if that is fore or aft of the cross member however).

Not quite sure if it is what you need but it is all I have here just now.

Does this help?

Thank you Mike, yes it does a bit. W

.png   Screenshot 2020-03-17 at 20.27.20.png (Size: 793.66 KB / Downloads: 215)

Page 55, 1938 handbook.

The rear brake operating lever is 1A 5565 according to the Oct '38 Parts list.
OOh now we're getting somewhere! So how long is 1A 5565? W
Ruairidh's photo of an installation on a special shows the for and aft rod passing thru a block on the rear crossmember and relying on flex in the rod for up and down travel of the axle. 
In the factory arrangement there is a slave arm pointing upward in this location linking 2 halves of the same rod. Possibly not required on a special with limited axle movement.