The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Half Shafts update
I have started the  reassembly of the back axle, taking the opportunity to check the run out on the  crownwheel.      It seems ok so on to the next bit tomorrow.
This topic was extensively covered not so long ago.
 Certainly the simplest method,  suits the complete assembly, and will sort significant distortion, but the races are free to tilt unike in the car
When the term V blocks is used many assume it only applies to the expensive matched sets, often unnecessary!
        I spent most of today getting a reasonable fit between the crown wheel and pinion. The photos show carbon blacking from a candle instead of marking blue to assess the meshing of the two gears.
It is the mesh in position with any preload which really matters but it is awkward to observe the crown wheel, esp on models with ball pinion bearing.. Some time ago someone mentioned that as here they tested the inital mesh in the casing open state, axle tube vertical. Would certainly shorten the process when startng from scratch.
Most books coat the cw and observe the rubbed area on it. Instructions refer to the cw pattern, not the pinion. Coating the pinion and observing the cw is the same but newcomers need to be alert as to just which pattern they are following as instructions are refenced to the cw! Most books emphasise that just one gear should be turned but why this should matter is beyond me.
Can spend hours on bedded gears as the ideal may not be obtainable and it takes time to find the best option.