The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Exhaust Leak
Thumbs Up 
Good evening, 
I have a Austin Ruby 1935, recently put a new exhaust system on and a new manifold gasket. With the work done, there seems to be some exhaust gas still leaking from around the manifold area. Is there any common problems that made cause this to happen. 
Thank you for your time. 
Mat
Welcome to the forum Mathew.
Most common is misalignment of the 2 faces of pipe to manifold joint. Is it the correct pipe, there are differences. Can you release the muffler to pipe clamp and allow better alignment?
Do you have a crack in the manifold?
Is it blowby from the tappet chest?
Is the manifold to block face perfectly flat? My RP suffers from a silly leak from this area, to the extent that I have recently bought another manifold which I am going to have surface ground shortly in an attempt to cure this. I suspect that the manifolds distort with age.
I just replaced the system on my ORT.  The front pipe fouled the tin ware in the engine bay. I couldn't get it square on the manifold without first removing the plate that sits over the exhaust, under the petrol pump. I then had to modify the shape of the front of the plate to refit it after bolting the exhaust system up.