The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Axle Shaft Key
Where can I purchase 2 Axle Shaft Keys to suit the  late Heavy Axle.
Or does someone have a drawing / sketch of the key.
Tod
Tod, Give Robin Taylor (Big Seven Register) a ring, he might be able to help.
01332 700629
J
Hi John,
Thanks for the reply, I will give Robin a call.
Tod
Many proclaim that on a correctly fitted axle the key does next to nothing even on an early Seven, so the key should do even less on a long taper, so material pobably not criticall. If making anything up it is important the hub does not ride on the key.
Hi Bob,
Many thanks for your advice, I will bear it in mind if I have to make keys.
Tod
I always thought they were a standard woodruff key.
Still in use today on machinery shafts you just need to find imperial sized ones.
I have got a jam jar full of them in assorted sizes.

https://technifast.co.uk/woodruff-keys
Hi Dickie,
Like yourself I have various woodruff keys of the standard pattern. However in this case it would appear to be a "special"
It measures 3/16" thick an estimated 5/16" high but the length is about 1-3/4" which takes it out with the standard range.
Tod
As anybody reading my posts will have guessed, I am not an engineer. However, something about Tod's key seems wrong to me. A Woodruff key is a segment of a circle and the height of the flat surface of the key, or the chord of the segment, from the furthest edge of the circle is usually less than 1/3rd of the circle's diameter. If my maths is correct, at 5/16" high with a length of 1 3/4", Tod's segment would require a circle with a diameter of about 2 3/4", about nine times the height of the key. I.e it would be very long and thin, whereas a typical Woodruff key is short and fat.

I am at a loss to understand why a key would be designed in such a way, having very little penetration at both ends, and requiring a very large diameter but relatively thin keyway cutter to mill the shaft. Can any of the engineering sages on here explain please? 

I apologise if this question appears arcane, but being virtually confined to barracks is making my mind latch onto anything vaguely engaging!
Hi Colin

May not apply in this case but I’ve seen a key made from a rectangular bar.  I think making a key is relatively easy, making a Woodruff slot is much harder.  You really need a special cutter set up in the mill. In the case of the rectangular bar I guess it was easier to just run a standard mill cutter up the taper.

Cheers

Howard
The key I needed yesterday for my lack of drive was made from a slice of 38mm bar that my landlord/neighbouring works parted off for me. A slitting disc to cut a sector, a file to adjust the curve slightly and a flat file to make it fit the available space. Cleaned up on a piece of 120 wet&dry on the guillotine table.
I'll be making another two today as handy spares and keep them in the car with the hub puller.