The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smart motorways
I have an HGV artic licence,and run trucks for a living,but find even in my everyday car trucks in the centre lane of roadworks a real danger.However when I’m on my way to work,in cruise control, throttle set at 80 mph reckoned at 75ish mph having to slow and/or divert from my rolling speed a real pain.Maybe driving a truck, always on the limiter the same thing? Just a thought.
(14-03-2020, 08:45 PM)Pjkpjk Wrote: I have an HGV artic licence,and run trucks for a living,but find even in my everyday car trucks in the centre lane of roadworks a real danger.However when I’m on my way to work,in cruise control, throttle set at 80 mph reckoned at 75ish mph having to slow and/or divert from my rolling speed a real pain.Maybe driving a truck, always on the limiter the same thing? Just a thought.

Have you thought about setting the cruise control a bit less?
You’ve missed the point?
Just for my penny’s worth I am not in favour of smart motorways the reason being there is no longer any hard shoulder. I know there are lay-bys for breakdowns every so often but they are of little use if you breakdown some way away from one whatever you are driving truck, modern car or a seven.
On another point however I agree with others who do not take there sevens on the motorways. Such roads did not exist at the time our sevens were made and thus were not designed for use on motorways. Although we like them and enjoy driving them technology has advanced and us who drive them have to accept this and give to the more faster modern traffic. Going faster in a modern is nor dangerous if driven correctly. However it is frustrating if held back for long periods behind an eighty year old car the driver of which refuses to pull over and let others pass.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
You’ve missed the point?

Which is?

In Victoria open road speed limits are 100 kph up to 110 kph- 80 mph sounds a bit fast ! 
(14-03-2020, 09:42 PM)Pjkpjk Wrote: You’ve missed the point?

I think the point is that, although the speed limit is 70mph on motorways and dual carriageways, the police are not interested in prosecutions unless one is driving at over 80 mph.
Pjkpjk is travelling in the fast lane and is annoyed to come across a slower vehicle in front, and wants it to move over.
His point is that a slower truck in the left lane comes across an Austin 7 and will be similarly annoyed at having to divert if the Austin doesn't  move left;  AND WE DO, but only because a hard shoulder exists.  
I am horrified at the concept of a smart motorway, I left the M1 immediately the hard shoulder dried up.  
That said I found that the motorways were commonly choked to my speed.
In Victoria we are have a plus 3 kph allowance-- over 103 or 113 you can be booked for exceeding the limit.

There are speed cameras everywhere including in police cars, which in this modern day of computerised systems are linked to the VicRoads registration computer, the first thing you know is a letter (still hard copy so far but I suspect a message to your phone in future) - simples and no effort required by the policeman.

The State government loves it !
(14-03-2020, 09:42 PM)Pjkpjk Wrote: You’ve missed the point?

Pjkpjk, you have missed my point. You should not set your cruise control to 80mph.