The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smart motorways
(13-03-2020, 10:15 AM)Bruce Nicholls Wrote: The greatest change I can see on motorways, smart or not, is that the lorries are more numerous and can all do and sustain 70 mph. Best avoided in a seven I think.

All lorries have a speed limiter set at 56 mph legally. Apparently some are set at 52 for better fuel economy.
And to re-iterate, *we* are the problem on a Motorway, not the other traffic running at the speed limit. As Charles said, the adoption (in his case) of the A1(M) was an easy and understandable option. To be fair, it did take me a day to work out my trip to Scotland avoiding the Motorway as much as I could, so it does need some prior thought and research. It isn't something you can do just as you set off...
I take your point Hugh, but it doesn't relieve other drivers of the general need to pay attention and look where they are going.

I met an HGV this morning on the wrong side of the road - luckily my Dad (an ex-police motorist) taught me never to assume the road is clear around a blind bend.
That is very true. I have always had the mantra, "imagine meeting myself coming the other way"....
I found myself briefly on the M27 to & from Beaulieu last year, they are upgrading much of the stretch I was on to "smart", it was really refreshing to have a nice smooth road surface free of potholes, the Ruby drove well & was a joy - maintained a good 45 - 50 mph and kept up with traffic - the speed limit was 50 mph, so within the capabilities of the car and safe with the other traffic.

So, if they are upgrading the motorway and the 50 mph speed limit is inforce then it should be quite a comfortable drive even in heavy traffic, without the speed limit I would want avoid and I am less keen now on using smart motorways in any vehicle and "A" roads can be quieter and a nicer drive.

I am holding out that the powers that be as part of their commitment to reducing CO2 emissions will look to reducing the national speed limits - if they both went down 10 mph respectively that would bring our cars back into range without feeling we are too slow! Probably too sensible for those in charge to comprehend...
All lorries have a speed limiter set at 56 mph legally. Apparently some are set at 52 for better fuel economy.
[/quote]

I know that's the law. Evidence of trucks on the road often suggests otherwise?
On occasion I have driven from my home in Colchester to the office in Ipswich in th ORT. The choice between the A or B roads is difficult.  On the dual carriageway,  there's space for the impatient sales reps to pass you. On the B roads however... 

There's no simple answer to this conundrum.
There’s an article in April’s “Automobile”by the late John Warburton which discusses driving vintage cars in modern traffic. He made some good points.
Cheers,
Dave.
I invested in some old, second hand OS maps last year reasoning that the little old white roads won't have changed much. For the better part that has turned out to be true (though just occasionally I come face to face with a retail park or mega-junction that wasn't there 5 years ago). These roads are a joy to drive on so long as you are not in a hurry to get anywhere, & scarcely any traffic. Ideal for running-in, a bit harder work if you have a distance to travel!
I believe that the speed limit for trucks is actually 60mph. The speed limiter is set low to ensure they can't exceed the limit.
According to my Stat Nav the trucks usually are doing 56, some go up to 60.
the speedo on my modern car is about 5mph fast, the PA speedo in the Austin is within 1mph.
My sat nav agrees with the speed indicators now found in some towns & villages.
Jim