The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Improving drag link ends
The drag link is made from cold drawn seamless tube. I have made new ones and even a left hand drive one by mistake. 
  You can save an old one with a worn 1/4" hole by boring it up further and putting a top hat steel pellet in with the 'head' thickness machined to lock the cup in.
On the original set up the total lost motion is 0.030" to 0.090" which I find requires no improvement.
I have made a new one using seamless tubing from aircraft suppliers. They were able to supply concentric tubing which avoided the task of boring both ends. I do think the result removes a potential fatigue point in the bored out arrangement. I have not heard of cracks in this area but for me it was simpler to manufacture.
(13-03-2020, 01:47 AM)squeak Wrote: I have made a new one using seamless tubing from aircraft suppliers. They were able to supply concentric tubing which avoided the task of boring both ends. I do think the result removes a potential fatigue point in the bored out arrangement. I have not heard of cracks in this area but for me it was simpler to manufacture.

How was the inner tube fixed to the outer?

Charles
Charles I had a look and the inner tube abuts each inner ball joint cup and thus held in place by the through cross bolt.  The aircraft tubing is a perfect sliding fit and would take to a plug weld for belt and braces , I did not. Regards  Russell
It is 10 years since i had one apart and cannot remember. What stops the inner cup fretting on the bolt? Is it a tight fit and clamped by the tube distorting?
Teh shim adjustment is fine if you have a jig to facilitate compressing the assembly for trial and error. I use two long threaded rods and simple end plates.The springs when effective presumably shield the arms from a lot of minor reactions.

Before I learned that new steering arms are avilable I contemplated a belt and braces bracket. But I have since found arms cracked at the turned seat radius.....  Which might eventually occur even with replacements if treated brutally..
The correct bolt has no thread till it emerges and the cup is solid. The cup is a tight fit and difficult to remove, in an earlier thread someone described levering it out from the bolt hole with a small screwdriver.
To update this thread I found that making a new side tube kept on sliding down my to do list. 
I then spotted that Tony Betts will sell you a whole new drag link - tube, cups, ball ends, caps for £75. Makes sourcing the the cold drawn tube, boring the ends and slots seem hard work compared to what I consider a very reasonable cost for a bolt on replacement.

Charles
It's an absolute bargain and well worth buying - you will most likely want to put the double locking nuts "down the way" at the steering column end though.
(29-05-2020, 09:54 AM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: It's an absolute bargain and well worth buying - you will most likely want to put the double locking nuts "down the way" at the steering column end though.

Just what I thought.
I like an engineering project but this is faster and simpler.

c