Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1931 RM converted to tourer.
Photo 
1931 RM saloon converted to tourer. Saloon body was not salvageable except for doors floorpan mudguards and scuttle. Excellent chassis. Car rebuilt in 2007. Age related registration. Car finished c2010, and in commission. Original engine currently out of the car, and bitza engine fitted. Photos and more info on request, pm email. SW Scotland. £6000 ono.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I must admit this sent me scurrying for other photos on the web, but couldn't see anything! Others than me might also be interested to know about the engine age and condition of it and the original one, and whether it's all standard, or whether anything is upgraded/later spec. What brakes it is running - that looks like bowden on front?
The engine fitted now is a bitza, early coil crankcase modified for 15/16 crankshaft runs fine. Original engine was run in the car for a few years, and then removed for overhaul. It was running well, but on examination, the big ends were on the point of breaking up, so refitted while I built up another engine. Apart from the body and the bowdenex front brakes, the car is standard. The hood needs detailed finishing, but works fine. Low charge from dynamo. Front mudguards need repainting.

As found 2006 and as now.[attachment=8978][attachment=8978]    

Attached Files
.jpg   as found1.jpg (Size: 108.82 KB / Downloads: 255)
Hi Dave, have sent you a PM.
Regards,
David
Back in 1957/8 as an impecunious cadet at Sandhurst two of us bought (for £30 - a lot when we were paid 10s a day, before stoppages!) a similar 1931 special. Not so smart, it did not have a hood and the back end had a wooden coaming/structure to stop you getting sliced up by the steel body. The back had no seats & the huge (ex tractor) 6v battery was jammed behind the passenger seat. It looked a bit like a dinghy (previous owner was a keen sailor). It went briskly, I recall it had an oversize updraft carb ....the other owner was stopped by a motorbike policeman in Staines who wanted to know why it went so well...he also owned a Seven...let him off with a warning (just as well he didn't ask to see the driver's licence, as he didn't have one!). As it cornered the doors flew open and a fuse was a 1" nail!.  One Easter leave I took it home & rebuilt the engine on the kitchen table. Interesting motoring. I think it was sold on to another unsuspecting cadet and we bought a 1931 saloon. This one is still on the register as an "Ulster!" but "Tigger" is long gone.
Nice story David.