The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The two-Austin-Seven family - a teaser. How early?
The "Two-Austin-Seven" family? If you know when the text below was included in an Austin Seven advertisement - you already know the answer. However, if you've not seen it before, like to take a guess at the year?

1930s font. I'm wondering if it's leading, further down the ad, to the announcement of the Big 7. So 1937?
Austin was promoting the Seven as a second car in the mid-1920s, but that was as a 'tender' for a larger car, rather than two small cars together. Also the colour chosen doesn't look like a 1920s feature, so I'll go along with Mick and say this is late 1930s.
1931 ?
(17-02-2020, 08:29 AM)Mick Hobday Wrote: 1930s font.  I'm wondering if it's leading, further down the ad, to the announcement of the Big 7.  So 1937?

Very close, Mick. It's actually February 1938. Here, Mr. Kneller, MD of Kneller Instrument & Tools Ltd of Rugby leaves for work on the morning of Thursday, September 2nd 1937 - his design studies for the remarkable Scope lathe completed overnight. Click the image for a larger display.
To download a very high-resolution cleaned copy suitable for a wall-sized display, click here

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

In he right hand picture, the garage seems to have gained a lathe!

Steve
It has! To blend the image into the page meant blurring and mucking about with it, so it's not as clear as it might be. Still, it's just about identifiable and of the period. Any guesses?
(17-02-2020, 09:15 AM)Mike Costigan Wrote: Austin was promoting the Seven as a second car in the mid-1920s, but that was as a 'tender' for a larger car, rather than two small cars together. Also the colour chosen doesn't look like a 1920s feature, so I'll go along with Mick and say this is late 1930s.
A bit of Googling turns up that GM and Peugeot started advertising a two-car family around 1927; it also turns up this cringe-worthy film from the 1950s.