The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Original wood effect on Mk1 Ruby dashboard...
I know, I know, I know....
(15-02-2020, 02:42 PM)Derek Sheldon Wrote: It’s my understanding (could be Wrong) that pre Mk11 Ruby’s did not have the wood effect and solid non removable panels on the dash. Even later Opals remained like that. Mk11 however had a photo applied covering on dash and window surrounds.

Derek, my 1934 early mk 1 Ruby definitely has a removable dash panel. I've had the whole lot in pieces and only got it back in, a few months ago. Just put the starter and choke cable/knobs back in today.

As Andrew says - the early Mk1 Rubys had a removable dashboard fascia - it is identical to the fixed dashboard underneath and secured by two round head screws either side, near the A post.

I don't think the later Mk1 Rubys had the fascia (cost cutting??) and the the Mk2 Rubys have a completely removable dashboard (not a fascia).
My Mk1 1935 Ruby hasn't been touched paintwise since the 1960's and the dash + door cappings are both wood effect. I've even had a couple of people comment on what a lovely wooden dash. Then I point out the magnet on the dash! Rolleyes  

Attached Files
.zip   Dashboard.app.zip (Size: 512.96 KB / Downloads: 10)
My understanding is that most Mk1 didn't have a removable cover-panel, but those that did had horizontal grain wood-effect like the early Mk2s (1938 & 39 cars had different vertical grain). I have seen a photo of a Mk1 cover panel which appeared to be grained in exactly this way. 

I have a couple of good photos of Mk2s.

Maybe this is the time to pursue my attempts at printing again?

Peter.
Dave, I like that colouring better than the light one in the link, thanks, I may go even darker however.

Looking at Dave's dashboard you can see one of the fastening screws (just to the right of the starter pull) for the removable fascia.

Peter,

I would be very interested in your printing suggestion please - in the meantime I have emailed a local car wrap company today, to see if they have the technology to help.
(15-02-2020, 07:19 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: ... in the meantime I have emailed a local car wrap company today, to see if they have the technology to help.

Excellent idea; they will probably have a range of wood effects from which to choose, and that may well be as close as you can get to replicating the original method.
I had the dashboard wrapped in 3m Mahogany wrap, only last week someone commented how well the veneer looked.Edit, photo sent by email.

Looking at Dave's dashboard you can see one of the fastening screws (just to the right of the starter pull) for the removable fascia.

My retaining screws are not like that, the dashboard has a right angle flange and screws to the A post through the side of the glovebox and through behind the instrument panel
It just goes to show that you should not believe anything you hear and only half of what you see. There are some very good photographs in the Rinsey Mills book , one of which show a very dark original wood grain effect.
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
(15-02-2020, 07:52 PM)Nigel Ricardo Wrote: I had the dashboard wrapped in 3m Mahogany wrap, only last week someone commented how well the veneer looked.Edit, photo sent by email.

My retaining screws are not like that, the dashboard has a right angle flange and screws to the A post through the side of the glovebox and through behind the instrument panel

Your Ruby is a Mk2 Nigel and will have a completely removable dash board, totally different to the earlier Mk1 cars. Thanks for the photo, will upload later.

Derek, struggling to understand what is new to you, tiredness on my part is likely to blame!