The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cylinder chamfer
Hi All

Engine building on the special has started and I have all the (standard) valves and springs in the block.

My friend is encouraging me to chamfer the top of the cylinder bores to aid gas flow.  Bearing in mind I’m trying to build a “strong” engine not a race engine do the engine builders out there normally chamfer? If so by how much and to what profile?

Cheers

Howard
Howard, this was aired on the forum not so long ago, as usual a range of opinions.
Mine is that a car will go pretty well without this mod and if reliability is your goal I'd simply leave it alone.
Of course there are others who swear by it...
The mod is described in Bill Williams’ Austin Seven Specials. If you do not have a copy let me know.
If you are on standard valves, the flow restriction is in the valve throat. Chamfering the cylinder edge won’t improve breathing and will reduce compression. Unless you are planning oversize inlets and high revs, I’d leave well alone.
Alan Fairless
Hi Thanks all

I did try a forum search but nothing came up and very little on a Google search.

I do have Williams specials book but was more interested the efficacy of chamfering.  The answers seem to confirm my thoughts and I will leave well alone.

Cheers

Howard
One such thread is here Howard: https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/for...t=Gas+flow
I'd go with Alan,derestrict around the valves and re radiused followers will make the biggest difference.
Hi Ruaridh 

Shows the difficulty with search engines.  I put “chamfer” in the search box with several variations and got nothing.  If I’d put “relief” I’d have found it.

After reading the thread (which digressed somewhat from Jon’s original question) I am leaving well alone.

Cheers

Howard