The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phasing out of petrol & diesel vehicles
I've read that most of the cobalt used in the battery to power an electric car is mined in The Congo. Children as young as four are employed in the mines, minimal wages, virtually forced labour. I suggest this needs to be taken into consideration too.

That said,  I think an electrically powered Austin Seven would be quite a novelty.  ( I now expect to be shot down for sacrilege !)
There are two members of our local club working on electric Sevens, the first is nearing completion and I'm following it' progress with much interest.
I was sent a photo recently of a stranded electric powered car being recharged from a mobile petrol driven generator, towed by a diesel powered van!
Chris I think we will see more and more of this in the future. With a battery car you can’t keep a can in the back with a gallon of electricity in it.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
Interesting thought John
Presumably someone will come up with the equivalent of a can of fuel. Be it similar to the quick start boost packs you can buy these days, or the power packs for phones etc. The problem I am sure will be solved.

Andy
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
For a price...
Ah but Chris, in 1943, Thomas Watson, president of IBM said:
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."

Never underestimate the speed of technological advancement. The one thing you can guarantee is that it will astound you, for good or bad...
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
My Idea of an electric car is to convert something like an RX8 or a Mulsane Turbo and fit a tow hitch.
If I wanted to go on a long journey I would tow the gas turbine powered gen set to charge as I go.
The car would be PURE ELECTRIC so as green as you like.
It would only need enough battery for short trips.
I cannot take electric cars seriously until they produce a decent electric city car; an electric car does not reduce total pollution or emissions, it merely transfers them to the source of the power. The benefit of electric cars will be in the reduction of pollution in the urban environment once a satisfactory city car is produced.
Not a can of petrol however, the electric RP has the whole of the roof replaced with a solar panel.