The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phasing out of petrol & diesel vehicles
From the Telegraph: "In an interview last week, Environment Secretary Michael Gove dodged questions about the cost of banning petrol, diesel and hybrid cars. Ministers use carefully chosen words to describe the public cost of Net Zero, vaguely referring to “1-2 per cent of GDP by 2050”. This is because the estimates they refer to only apply to 2050, as an FOI reveals. They ignore the years 2020-2049, conveniently omitting the expense of overhauling national infrastructure in the interim.
I cannot estimate the price of dismantling every gas cooker, retrofitting some 26 million homes, building a vast network of electric car charging points, and so on. Suffice to say it will be a mind-boggling sum – and that is before negotiating the tricky politics......Given zero progress on commercial electric flights, net zero would likely mean halting air travel for the many – with exceptions for a wealthy few, such as those attending important events like the Oscars or Davos. Though we do not share the revolutionary iconoclasm of our Gallic neighbours, the gilets jaunes protests – sparked by surging fuel prices – give a taste of the class resentment this could trigger......
"But why not put Net Zero to a referendum, in which costs, benefits and risks may be properly debated? Major changes require public consent. If we are serious about democratic renewal, the environment should be put to the vote too."
i.e. would you vote to be poorer, have less freedom, higher energy costs and a far less competitive economy?
Tony wrote:-
"But why not put Net Zero to a referendum, in which costs, benefits and risks may be properly debated? Major changes require public consent. If we are serious about democratic renewal, the environment should be put to the vote too."

i.e. would you vote to be poorer, have less freedom, higher energy costs and a far less competitive economy?"

Alas, such a move would be an opportunity for us all to be comprehensively lied to (again) by both sides

And is answer to Tony's last sentence, we did in June 2016!
Alas, such a move would be an opportunity for us all to be comprehensively lied to (again) by both sides

Absolutely. They are, after all, politicians - and that's what we always expect.
The saying I hadn't heard until recently was "War is dirty,Politics is dirtier".
I am reminded of the little clerihue by Louis NcNeice which (if memory serves me aright) goes like this:-

"A politician
Is an arse
Whom everyone has sat upon
Except a man."
One idiot is an idiot,
Two idiots are two idiots,
Ten thousand idiots are a political party.

Franz Kafka.
I've just had our modern MOT'd and had a chat with the garage owner about electric cars, one of his customers has a 6 year old electric Volvo which needs a new battery pack, a new one costs £17,000 while a Swedish government report states that the CO2 used to make a electric car battery pack is the same as running a petrol car for 8 years.
Reading in the paper earlier,Ford says it costs £10,000 for a battery pack,and they are heavy.
Where is all the battery waste going to go ?
A relation of mine has a BMW i3.I thought it was all electric, No it has a small 2 cylinder petrol engine too to charge its batteries only.
It cost him £600 for a service, which included an engine oil change !
I think the batteries, like lead-acid, are recyclable.
All main dealer servicing is expensive.
Jim
£180 an hour I believe.
3 hours work there would cost more than my modern's worth.