The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Differential stuck in axle housing
As my Sunday came to an end while yours is just beginning, I will have to wait until next weekend to try some of these methods. Thanks again.
If you can beg or borrow a scrap, empty, drivers side housing. Bolt it to your current problem housing. The result will extend past your exposed axle and lend itself to being dropped repeatedly onto it's end on a block of hardwood .  Must admit I haven't laid a tape measure onto this hare brained idea. Big Grin
It might seem to be a daft idea, but I seem to remember using the exposed shaft as a slide hammer.
Put the hub back on and bolt the brake drum on then slide halfshaft in  making sure the inner end is still engaged with the spur gears and give it a few sharp pulls.
You should be able to work out how much to slide it in by carefully pushing the  halfshaft in whilst rotating it you will feel it dropping out of engagement when you go to far.
Its a good idea to flush the inner brass bearing out with Duck oil or similar to reduce the drag from the old axle oil.
Heating the case by the adjuster plate is a good idea you should be able to get it quite hot before you do any damage, lots of smoke will tell you when to stop.
If heating it up keep the adjuster plate in place to stop naked flame getting inside the axle an catching the oil on fire, and clean any oil of the outside of the axle before you start
It is not a good idea to drive it from other other side as you will be bashing the ends of the half shafts into each other.
Thanks everyone for you suggestions.  The idea of gently pushing it out appealed to me.  This morning it occurred to me that I could use a puller hooked on the end of the casing to push the axle out.   I set it up, applied some pressure then started heating the casing around the bearing.  A few minutes later it was out.  Cheers. Geoff

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Well done Geoff! Isn't it satisfying when you manage to overcome these things? (even more so when you manage it without a sledgehammer!)