The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phoenix cranks...
I have heard recently that Phoenix cranks in Sevens have been known to crack. Is this true, and if so was it in competition use or routine Seven motoring?
True satisfaction is the delayed fulfilment of ancient wish
Rare, but not unknown. The only ones I’m aware of we’re competition cars.
Alan Fairless
as alan says, 

rear but not uncommon.

the ones i know of were also raced.

many years ago doug kiddy, who made cranks for formula one cars. had a broken pheonix crank on his workshop floor. i understand from a race car.

around 5 years ago, under john newmans ownership of pheonix, i had to return two back to them. that had LARGE forging cracks across the webs. NOT the jernals. the sides had been machined to check the cracks. these were on BSF flywheel threads. so were send to david cockran first, and had been returned. so he knew what he had sent out. he did exchange them. so what happend to them after that who knows?

someone may be able to give more info on a recent race engine, that the crank gave up on very quickly?. i understand it was an austin 7 forged crank, from the same company pheonix have there forgings from? i cant comment further as the full info that came to me was second hand. 

as far as i know, all new cranks that have been made work very well in standard cars, but i doubt anyone would give garrantees for racing.

tony
They were all 1 5/16" and used for competition, 1 1/2" cranks are fine.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)