The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Chummy exhaust silencer mounting
Hello all, 

I've finally got round to getting a new exhaust for the chummy project, and there's no obvious mounting points for the silencer. My chassis has been messed around with quite a lot in it's lifetime so I'll assuming I'll need to drill in new points, but I want to make sure I get it right! Does anyone have any images showing how exactly it's supposed to be fitted? 
Many thanks!
The Archive website is your friend:

.jpg   1929 chassis.JPG (Size: 69.31 KB / Downloads: 398)

The front of the silencer is not mounted onto the chassis, just held by the clamping sleeve onto the front pipe. The rear should have a flange with one mounting hole to match that in the rear crossmember.
Hi Rupert,
 it took me a while to figure this out on my chassis too, but scrutinizing all of the pictures I could find in books etc. led me to this installation which I think is correct. I don't have a good photo of the front of the silencer, but it does go through the cross member as Mike says.
Stephen
.jpg   tail pipe joint .JPG (Size: 90.86 KB / Downloads: 329)
Steve, I think the silencer in the picture is upside down and that it should go through the hole on the cross-member. The tail pipe is integral with the silencer and points in under the car. The bracket on the silencer is fixed in the same hole as in the picture.
Jim
I agree, Jim, the silencer fits through both front and rear cross-members.
Jim and Mike correctly state that the exhaust route is through both crossmembers,   however   I found the passenger floor temperature too hot and ran the  muffler under both chassis members as in Steve's picture.
I tried every which way to get the silencer to fit through BOTH holes of the cross members but unless I was prepared to cut and re-weld the silencer it would not physically allow me to do this. What you see is how i eventually resolved the issue.     I'll look at it again when I have the time and possibly modify things to fit.

As for the tail pipe I prefer to have it point out rather than dump under the car and get the fumes sucked into the low pressure cavity behind the car.
Stephen
My '29 Chummy has the silencer fitted like Mike's picture, pipes going through front and rear cross-member, but IIRC the rear stub pipe has to be very short or it is impossible to fit. It doesn't leave much room for the clamp onto the tail pipe. In my case, the tail pipe is currently held in place with a simple Jubilee clip. It would be nice to know how this was originally done!
Originally the tail pipe was part of the silencer, not a separate item.
Thanks for the replies all - sounds like it's not such a straightforward answer after all!
The front section of the exhaust goes through the hole in the front crossmember quite happily, but there isn't any sort of hole in the rear crossmember for anything to go through. It's not the original rear crossmember as the chassis was previously fitted with a Ford sidevalve and so the original was hacked up to make way for a propshaft I think.

The silencer I have has two very distinct mounting tabs/brackets at the front and back similar to the one shown in Steve's picture. My tail pipe is also integral to the silencer. I don't have any pictures to hand but I'll take some when I next have access to the car.