The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Wonderful world of Austin Sevens
I thought it was time to see if I could fit my 6ft 3 into a blown Austin Seven Special and what better place to do it but in Port Elizabeth.

With all the bad  things the Internet has brought our society, linking like minded enthusiasts from different parts of the world is one of its best.

Arrangements were made some time ago and Greig, of this Parish, gave up an afternoon from fixing Minis, collecting 57 Alfas (he has more than even he understands is fair to all the other people in SA who would like to own one) and generally working hard.

Well, I did indeed fit into his race special. Bad news was I had to remove the rear seat squab, oh and my shoes. Twisting my foot to reach the accelerator pedal has left me with what might be a permanent dead nerve.

.jpg   DSC03161l.jpg (Size: 322.95 KB / Downloads: 427)

We moved on to see the rest of his Austin Sevens (hidden behind 1957 Alfas). All were very special and deserving of the care Greig is clearly going to give them.

.jpg   DSC03133.JPG (Size: 332.3 KB / Downloads: 424)

Greig's, and his Dad's ways of working with what they have to hand is a great example in the era of reuse rather than just binning things. He has truly reused everything, including the kitchen sink, which is now a stainless steel fuel tank for the special. 

So, thank you again Greig, the milkshake was truly the only way to fight off the 37 degree heat, and the very best of luck with the new project.

Andy B
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
Hi Andy

Great post and pics.  It must be good fun meeting up with Greig and seeing his collection. Have a great time!

Cheers

Howard
Thanks Howard and yes it was. I know that Austin Sevens are to be found literally all around the world, but it still amazes me the global reach of such a small car some 90 odd years ago. 

The global friendship is a literal translation of this forum.

Last year I found one in SA that was made just a couple of weeks after mine and later waved at a box going the opposite was just outside Franschoek.

Andy
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
It was fantastic to meet Andy and Karen out on holiday from Yonder Emerald Isle & they made a special effort to come a bit further up the Garden Route to Port Elizabeth because the Forum has made us into a Global Village

We spent a very pleasant afternoon together, some in the garage, looking at all the projects. Andy also managed to squeeze his 6'3 into a SWB single seater designed around 5'10 me, thank goodness for the cropped steering wheel or he'd still be in there. Karen almost took the Mini home, but at the last minute decided she wanted a blue one and not a green one, so Basil the Mini stayed behind

Unusually hot weather chased us around the corner to a coffee shop and over large milkshakes Andy & Karen told me all about their bee keeping and blacksmithing life back home in Essex.

Aye
Greig