The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
one shot drain cleaner - de-rusting
do you need to heat the molasses solution to let it disperse, or will it naturally do it over time?
Hi Jon

Just naturally over time but it doesn’t work as well over winter. 

I went to our local agricultural suppliers and bought a huge horse feeding bucket.  The molasses is about £8 for 5 litres again from the agricultural supplier (horse feed!). Dilute it 9 to 1 with water and put it somewhere where you don’t mind the smell!  It tends to go mouldy (surface crust).  In the summer it took about 3 weeks to strip a wheel to bare steel.  Make sure you wash thoroughly and dry quickly before painting as surface rust tends to form.

Cheers

Howard
Here are before and after pics from the Top Hat engine electrolytic de-rusting:

Block before:

And after:

This bucket of sick is actually the electrolysis bath working:

The head came out like this (no before I'm afraid):

out of interest, did you find that you got "pores" on the dressed face underneath the head, or did you reface anyway?
https://www.constructionchemicals.co.uk/...NDEALw_wcB
I use oxalic acid to clean the rust stains from anchor chains etc off our boat deck. Can vouch for its efficacy.
(07-02-2020, 12:14 PM)JonE Wrote: out of interest, did you find that you got "pores" on the dressed face underneath the head, or did you reface anyway?

Hi Jon, no the uncorroded metal comes out of the bath just as it went in!
Oxalic axid users - I'm gradually getting up to the right strength to use. Hedd mentioned that it leaves a nice grey colour when its finished working.
A few questions for chemists:
1. will the oxalic-ised (grey areas) have any more protection than over bare steel, for new corrosion?
2. The solution appears to make a greeny yellow - almost lemon - coloured dust/slurry which presumably is the byproduct of the iron oxide.
If this is removed by settlement, should the remaining solution still be the same strength as one started with?
One wants to be as efficient as possible with the stuff, just for what one throws down the drains or onto waste ground...
I'm with Parazine on this topic, the electrolytic system using washing soda is as safe (and as cheap) as it gets. One solution will last for ages, years even, with just top-ups of water and a quick scrape of the scum off the top. You can't overdo it, so you can leave it for hours, days or even weeks in very difficult cases, though I have never had to. Just try it...
True satisfaction is the delayed fulfilment of ancient wish
Parazine and Bob, 
    what ratio of washing soda to water do you use?