The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sell spare engine as parts or a whole ?
I have 2 austin engines , 3 bearing and a 2 bearing 1928. 

Ive built both up and the 2 bearing needs a hone and new rings ,its complete and but low on compression and LC head etc, I'm going to use the later 3 bearing with HC head.

I don't need 2 engines and as different crank cases starter etc not much use as spares to me.

So my question is - spend a little money do the work sell the engine whole and complete or break it as parts ? the crank case has no repairs, the bacon slicer runs well and was refurbished, head is good no repairs and the water ways decent , block could do with a hone, its had most of its studs replaced and some helicoils, pistons need new rings, I'd do bearings whilst in there, clutch is brand new and flywheel only has a little wear on teeth. It has a strange magneto - dizzy conversion but is very nice piece of kit.

I think I'll get more and better value selling as parts, more projects get helped , and no need to spend anymore money on it, mate thinks do the work and sell as a complete unit ?

Thoughts / advice ?
Keep it in one piece so that a future owner can have matching pieces. Try to sell it to someone who needs it. Carpet baggers strip everything down to make more money, enthusiasts try to preserve what is left.
I agree. For heavens sake don’t break them up. The mag engine by the sound of it needs little work to make it fully serviceable and useful to someone.
Hi Steve

As Bob says.  I wouldn’t bother doing any more work.

Try this site’s sales and wants and your local club mag.  I’d put an advert in YSaith our own South Wales mag but it’s a bit far for people to collect.

Cheers

Howard
Stevenm doesn't say it's a matching number engine, sounds as though it needs a fair amount doing to make it good.Stevenm would make more of it by selling off individual parts.
Bacon slicer quite valuable, as is Mag conversion.
Mag engine for rebuild £200-300 seems to be the going rate .
On 2nd thoughts, get a decent 2 bearing crankcase of the correct era for the car and build the 2 bearing engine into that assuming you have a 1.5/16" crank in the 1928 engine, if 1.1/8" don't bother.