The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Painting inside of crankcase and valve chamber
Could someone please explain the reasoning for this. 
I was always led to believe that painting aluminium reduced heat transfer. 
As for the valve chamber?
Cheers,
Peter
I think it was done to contain casting sand not fully removed. effect of modern fuel in sump is questionable. Run on non detergent oils engines accumualted a jet black varnish which made it hard to see what you were doing. Paint helped.
I noticed that too Peter! 
Not in any engine of mine....
I'd never heard of this but apparently its a thing.

They used to paint the engines with GLYPTAL which was an elastic oil resistant paint used to fill pores in the castings , stoping debris build up and helping the oil return to sump faster... in theory , theres a good thread on the MG forum...

https://www.mgexp.com/forum/mgc-forum.48...t.2764564/

( I also have an MGB but I've begun tinkering with pre-war now so all is not lost )
Until it starts to fall off and....
Speaking as a seller of paints - don't do it!
Thank you all for the replies.
I would be worried that the paint would come off, especially if the surface was not new .
Soda blasting seems to be the only method of removing the old carbon inside the crankcase without leaving nasty surprises behind.
Whether it is clean enough for the paint to stick over the "pores" in the casting, who knows.
Perhaps if the casting is new?
Cheers,Peter
Vapour blasting or aqua blasting is another method that brings an aluminium crankcase up like new.
Have you somewhere local you've used, Colin?

Steve
I have generally cleaned up cases in the past with a stiff brush, gunk and lots of effort. In my experience what's there is usually fairly well stuck! Though I succumbed to temptation recently and had a couple dunked in the bath at my local engine recon shop and I must say the results are impressive.