The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windscreen wiper
Hi one and all,i am putting a help message here from a mate of mine,he has a computer but can only read whats there but cant put up messages???what he is looking for for his box 7 a little spring in the wiper motor the spring keeps pressure on the brush,he only has the one spring,he has exhausted all his contacts and was told "never had the need to renew one"so do you know where he might buy one,(spring) or someone who has a spare,i havent seen the spring myself but he describes it as about,5/8" long by about 1/8" diameter with a little hook at one end and a flat bit like a tail at the other end,he said if needed but he would but a motor if the price isnt over the top.
If you can help you can me an email to. tedeston734@gmail .com  thank you.Ted
Ted, were it my problem, I would look at modifying the spring from a cheap "click on- click off" biro.
If you go on ebay and search for 'small compression spring' there are lots to choose from.
Ted,

I'm assuming your friends wiper motor is either a Lucas DW3 or DW4 ? Looking at a 1939 Lucas Parts Catalogue, it appears they never supplied the springs separately. The complete Brush Gear unit that fitted both DW1 and DW3 wiper motors was available back then as Lucas part number: 730790 - presumably the two springs are those shown in the bottom left and right corners of the illustration below.

The carbon Brush Set (pair) but without springs that fitted CW1 / CW2 / CW3 / CWH / DW2 / DW3 and DW4 wiper motors was Lucas part number: 730388 or 730909.

.png   Screenshot 2020-02-05 at 15.44.07.png (Size: 21.53 KB / Downloads: 300)

It would seem your friend has two options - A) modify a biro spring or small compression spring bought off ebay or B) buy a S/H wiper motor and cannibalise it for parts.

Here's an earlier Lucas MTI-5 wiper motor on ebay which your friend may or may not have on his car - it's being sold for spares or repair:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Lucas...SwTpZdybpM

DW3 wiper motors quite often appear on ebay as they were fitted to mid 1930's Morris 8's etc. or Tony Betts (7 County Austins) may have some S/H wiper motors in stock - give him a ring.

You could also try contacting: Stephen Hunt, 15 Southam Close, Hall Green, Birmingham. Email: stevehuntwipermotors@gmail.com  he reconditions classic car wiper motors and sells exchange recon units on ebay under the sellers name  'tankard03'.

To post questions / messages on the Forum your friend would need to register (free) to become a Forum member 
Thanks Jeff i am not sure if he is a member as he said he read posts but doesnt know how to put a question up there,not everyone is handy on a computer he is knocking to 80 so maybe why,.
Jeff you said the far Northeast of England???I am thereabouts,Teesside. Ted
Hi Ted,

Your friend needs to start at the Forum Chat... page then click on Post Thread I've circled it in red - that will open a new page where he can type in the title of his question in the narrow Thread Subject box, then type his question in the much larger Your Message: box below. Having done that, he would then need to scroll to the bottom of the page and click on Post Thread - job done.  

I'm a bit further north than you Ted, in the Tyne Valley. You're not the Teesside based guy I collected some A7 parts off six or seven years ago - you'd advertised them on ebay?  The guy I'm thinking of had a black or very dark brown Seven Swallow saloon and a collection of vintage / classic motorbikes.

Jeff.
No not me Jeff.Ted