The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If the mountain won't come...
After years of living with setup I inherited from the PO - whereby the radiator was set so far from the fan as to receive no benefit from it whatsoever - a leak in the rad prompted me to 'do something' whilst everything was dismantled. In another thread I asked about rad sizes as I had contemplated getting a smaller one so that it could be sited in a more normal relationship to the fan. However, as is always the case, this had ramifications that I didn't want to mess around with.  And I certainly could not think of a way to get the fan closer to the rad - except on a hugely long shaft that would probably wobble its way to destruction in minutes. The tendency to overheat in hot weather or thrashing up trials hills had stopped being any fun, so a solution was needed, one way or t'other.

I was still puzzling last weekend when I spotted an NOS 12volt rad fan for sale on ebay. It was only a few miles away and the chap sold it to me for tenner. Lo and behold, it fits a treat. While I find out how effective it might be I am using a manual switch but if it is OK then I will put in a thermostatic one. Here are pics of the before and after. I am hoping the removal of the fanbelt will unleash countless extra horsepower :-)

Still have the tidying up to do, but it is looking promising. What's the old proverb?...If the radiator won't come to the fan, the fan must go to the radiator...

.jpg   Special with fan.jpg (Size: 125.76 KB / Downloads: 223)   
.jpg   Special no fan.jpg (Size: 172.97 KB / Downloads: 224)
Perhaps you would consider the thermostat mod I posted recently, works very well, quick warm up and constant temperatures
Buy an Austin 7 they said, It's easy to work on they said !
I believe 6v 'clip-on' fans can also be had.