The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Friends' Gallery Picture of the Month - February 2020

A fine shot of one of the Works Dutch Clog racers taken at Donington Park. Photo submitted by Robin Boyce, who suggests features on the car indicate this is probably XA 1010, which was loaned to Percy Stephenson for the 14th July 1934 meeting.
Great minds think alike?   Firstly, Congrats to Robin and Martin for bringhing the great photo to us.  But the shot reminded me of a prominent Austin Seven driver in Oz in the 30s and after the war, named Doug Head.  He told me of when he competed in the South Australian Grand Prix in 1934 that he was approached by George Smith who had brought the Duck racer over  from NZ to take part.  Smith complained that the Duck wouldn't get around the hairpin bend at the end of the circuit.  Head took it for a drive and said he was doing over 100 mph down the straight, but Smith was correct - the car didn't have enough lock.  He claimed they modified the rear of the front fairing with the back of an axe, problem solved and I have the photos to prove it.  Seems the same problem had already been solved at Donington.   Present owner Grant Cowie said he would retain the dents when he restored his  I have a photo of me in the car but can't recall if the dents are still there.  Incidentally, Grant's car is No. 1012, so it's not the same car.  Today's useless trivia.   Cheers,  Bill in Oz
Do the spokes on the car appear thicker than in the background? Local users of the car which came here used to report the wheels diitorting disturbingly on corners
I suppose when first built the primary purpose was racing at Brooklands, where steering lock was not a high priority! No doubt they soon found the problem when other venues were used. It certainly looks like the wheels on the car (or at least the rear wheels) have thicker spokes than on those against the fence.
Mike - I'd say you were correct.  Same conclusion came to them at the time apparently.  As Stepenson had competed at Southport he would have needed a great amount of lock to get around the circuit at each end.  Having driven at Donington I doubt that lock would be a problem  there. Cheers,  Bill
Presumably the cars were less prone to extreme oversteer than the saloons. Having years ago attained  45 deg  in a Ruby (roadside grass was trapped by the tyre) I would be afraid to try anything adventurous without plenty of lock available for recovery.