The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fire Extinguisher
(20-01-2020, 01:39 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: I carry a fire extinguisher in every car I own, Vintage and modern. 

The better question might be "why shouldn't you carry an extinguisher"?
Me too. In addition, an emergency kit with various items including a tyre lever (ever since coming across a crashed VW beetle with the people trapped inside), and long strop by means of which one might be able to tow a car/s out of harm's way.

My son's old A6 had just had a too-tall battery fitted (it goes under the rear seat) by the local garage. Parked at Christmas in the underground car park of Switzerland's largest department store, his daughter moved from one side of the rear seat to the other, causing the seat's metal frame to short out the terminals. With smoke filling the car, what to do? No fire extinguisher in the car and none in sight. Break the glass on the fire alarm and empty the building? Not a popular move if it proved to be a false alarm. Fortunately, it self-cured and he managed to find the cause - and this didn't happen: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-ma...r-42529615
Gosh, can we come and watch the first time someone brandishes a fire safety stick at a scrutineer?
Whilst i sympathise with anyone in this situation it is hard to feel sorry for this clown. At least it wasn't a 7 thank goodness

Thanks to all the many comments - I always intended to carry an extinguisher in my 7 but never realised the potential problems with not having one. On the strength of this article I will be carrying one in my 'ordinary' car from now on - already got one in the garage and our motorhome.
Buy an Austin 7 they said, It's easy to work on they said !
Mention above of leather driving gloves prompts me to post these pics, taken a couple of years ago, on the start line, at Classic Le Mans. The gloves didn't much help but they kept the fire patted down until the rather under-dressed marshal arrived with an extinguisher.

.jpg   _DSC1737.jpg (Size: 333.33 KB / Downloads: 359)

.jpg   _DSC1741.jpg (Size: 152.83 KB / Downloads: 359)
I also carry a fire extinguisher in the car and luckily never had to use it. But remember most car fire extinguishers only have about a 12 second life although you can do quite a bit in that time but remember although it puts the fire out initially a hot fire will re ignite itself in seconds. Be prepared to leave it and retire to a safe place (A long way away from a burning car and petrol tank.)

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
And of course somebody really ought to point out that a bit of timely maintenance on wiring and fuel system might well avert many of these incidents...definitely worth a thoughtful walk-round once in a blue moon.
I may have told this before, so apologies. One hot night after a barbecue and a FEW drinks on the beach I was driving my MG TC home with the hood down enjoying the balmy air when I detected smoke coming up beside me. Apparently the top of the muffler rusted through and the flames came up and set fire to the floorboards, then the driver's seat. I jumped out before the car stopped rolling and when I realised I didn't have an extinguisher, i grabbed up handfuls of dirt from a resident's garden. Ran backwards and forwards doing this a few times before the resident appeared at the open window in his pyjamas & wanted to know what the hell I was doing. Told him, he rushed out and got his hose. I ran out with the hose nozzle and when it didn't quite reach the car I tugged harder. Turned out the fellow hadn't connected it to the tap to save time, just held it on to save time. My tugging caused him to get completely saturated (lucky it was a hot night!) but he wasn't happy. Result : fire out before the Fire Brigade arrived, I then sat down onto the seat which was a porridge of sloppy mud and ruined plants & flowers, started up and drove home. Told my mother and said I was afraid the mud probably ruined my trousers. When I turned around she noted the whole seat had been burnt out, only the rear pockets saving my skin. Told you it was only a few drinks. Cheers, Bill in Oz
Have one in each car it is crazy not to.
Carry one in  two of my cars  have had to use one twice now for engine fire. {Carb overflow} last time although the gauge showed pressure OK nothing happened when the trigger was pulled,  quickly  unscrewed the cap and shock the powder out. The  powder is a bugger to clean off the engine afterwards
Don't forget all you people who have unused extinguishers sat in your vehicles for some years that they have a shelf life, and should be dated and serviced. Apparently the contents can settle and will not be correctly activated in time of need.
Peter