The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Layshaft endfloat mystery
I have recently rebuilt a 4 speed synchro box with new bearings and springs etc. Prior to dis-assembly it turned freely.

On disassembly I noticed that the layshaft had been fitted without any gasket under the flange on the rear of the shaft. Before reassembling I re-fitted the shaft and gear to check endfloat and found that there was none - in fact it needed a 10 thou paper gasket under the flange to allow the gear to turn freely. Where had the clearance gone?

I did gently heat the casing with a heat gun to help remove the bearings. Is it possible the casing has distorted with the heat?

Peter.
I doubt you distorted the case Peter, unless you went crazy with the heat gun. I bung mine in the oven; or hang them above my Aladdin stove for a bit.

Obvious question I guess but did you replace, repair or otherwise disturb the layshaft gear bushes?
On disassembly was there a gasket under the bush at the opposite end of the layshaft?
Hi Chris,

That's reassuring thank you. No I didn't remove the front bush, nor do anything to the gear or shaft, though clearly something has moved. Anecdotally I was expecting to find some excess wear, not the opposite.

I have a close ratio box I want to rebuild at some point so I'm learning what I can from this one.

Peter.