The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Night driving
Yes, I think it beats my diy solution Wink 

Still not as cheap as adhesive tape if you don't require the magnetic version Big Grin 

The sticky tape is also available in other colours for sticking, for example, to the front of your Seven.

Regards, John
Legal or not I am personally sceptical of flashing lights at night. It is difficult to judge distance and relative speed to. Vital split seconds are wasted whilst motorists puzzle.

I consider lights and largish reflectors preferable to tape arrangements. The latter may not be instantly recognised as the rear of a vehicle.

I run a 1960s car and although speed is much as the rest the tailihghts are feeble by present standards. Decades ago I was especially concerned at right turn situation where waiting in centre of the road. I fitted trailer or truck reflectors about 3 inch dia mounted wide apart below the bumpers. Following the car was surprised how effective, and especially when the abrupt beam of modern dipped lamps illuminated. Lit up suddenly like stop lights and sure to be noticed. The low mounting is crucial. On a car like a Seven the oscillatory motion causes the reflectors to flash at considerable distance.
To get seen why not go the whole hog and have removable trailer board, attached to the spare wheel? Big modern reflective number plate, big lights and indicators, big triangular reflectors. Cheap.

With a little creativity it can be quickly unclipped, unplugged and folded in half for stuffing inside leaving the car looking 'period'. And yes...it will do the job with 6v bulbs
Many thanks for your many and varied solutions.
I think we have probably a couple of solutions to the rear lighting worries but I am still concerned about forward visibility.
Does anyone have early scuttle headlights that they are 100% happy with.
I have tried the double dippers but do not get a concentrated beam.
Adrian.
(29-10-2017, 12:05 PM)John Penny Wrote: Yes, I think it beats my diy solution Wink 

Still not as cheap as adhesive tape if you don't require the magnetic version Big Grin 

The sticky tape is also available in other colours for sticking, for example, to the front of your Seven.

Regards, John

The cycle LED tail lamps can either be either steady or switched to flashing.

Cheers, Tony.
Thank you John and Derek for your great solutions - the days are getting short up here so I'll be placing an order!

Peter.
Having run Sevens for the past 50 odd years, it wasn't till I fitted Lucas Graves reflectors and lenses with 25watt bulbs about 5 years ago that I had to be careful of the headlamp alignment otherwise I had oncoming cars flashing me something I'd not experienced before. Prior to that it was Mick Kirkland's reflectors and toilet window glass which gave a reasonable beam for a Seven but alignment wasn't critical.
Has anyone found the magnetic version at a reasonable carriage cost?

It sounds like someone buying a 10metre strip and selling on little bits might be a good way to go if not. This solves my problem about not wanting unoriginal round reflectors cluttering up the back of the nippy... this will be more effective and nearer the edges of the vehicle too.
My RN is 12v. I fitted 36w double dip halogen bulbs in the original Lucas Graves headlamp reflectors 14 years ago.  They are excellent compared to the original bulbs fitted. I had to change the bulb holders of course. The headlamps have the original vertical flute lenses.
Dave.
This subject is certainly generating a lot of discussion -- all good stuff.

The same problems existed back in " the sixties" although modern headlights then were less blinding. Night driving in an Austin Seven in those days was fairly common and we didn't have the advantage of LEDs.
One strategy was to knock off the rear view mirror, and drive in the middle of the road using the following car's headlight to see where you were going. I remember getting back from Brighton to London in a Ruby using this technique and as far as I can remember no one got too upset, but of course everyone was more tolerant in those days and road rage had yet to be invented!

Charles. (Safely in rural Norfolk)