The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Night driving
Since putting the RN on the road in 1990 father and I have always had a reflective spare wheel cover on the car. 
  This is excellent for safety both day and night. The reflective strip really shines when lit by a following light. 
   On dual carriageways and motorways vehicles see you from a great distance and pull out far sooner. It is not very pretty but can be easily removed if you are at a rally.
   Les Gammon made the originals in two types, then we had a batch of twenty made of just the high viz ones. 
    I have been asked to make some more but just haven't got round to it yet.
For those of us poor folk with Rubies, I think someone used to make reflective magnetic strip material, about 3" wide. Anyone know of a supplier? ....

... and for those of us with fibreglass Ulsteroids there's no hope!

Peter.
Modern vehicles on modern roads require little concentration and modern vehicles have a myriad in car distractions, esp the complex dashboard and entertainment functions. Most driver are half asleep. Despite legal requirements no one drives able to always stop in the clear distance ahead. Vehicles at much less than normal speed take them by surprise. With Sevens from the front the weak lamps and closeness cause distance to be misjudged. Ditto the feeble rear lamps cause distance to be misjudged. Large bright wide spaced rear lamps are ideal but much can be achieved with large reflectors. These can often be made quickly removable. With modern sharp cut off headlights, reflectors light up fully and suddenly which has quite a wake up effect on drivers. Must be mounted as low as possible.
A few years ago on one of the UK motorways a Bradford towing a trailer had the trailer shunted through the vehicle with very serious injuries.
I use an old cyclist's reflective belt/sash on the back of my Nippy after dark, it's far more visible than any lights. It's fixed on with bunjee elastic, easy to remove.
I've seen this type of beacon on slow (many are slower than Sevens and being green or camouflaged are not the most visible) military vehicles:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-Road-Flare...SwTEBZ6ufW
Just thinking about this, having read the thread and the various clever solutions. What about red reflective tape? If you only drive infrequently at night it's cheap enough to be applied on a per journey basis and removed in daylight for the sake of appearance. Something like this should make you more visible from the rear .......

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-High-Inten...SwVC1Z15If

John
John,

That's similar to what I had in mind and would be very effective. It needs to be magnetic for my Ruby though - I don't think the ageing paintwork would stand up to double side tape!

Peter.
Now you have me worried- up until now I relied on two 4" round reflectors from roadwork's signs on the rear of each Austin Seven to supplement the single Lucas AT 201.

Yesterday I bought two small but very bright cycle tail lamps with battery powered triple LED's and mounted them on the ends of the Chummy rear bumper - cost A$17 each.

See if this works !

Cheers,Tony.
(28-10-2017, 09:57 PM)Peter Naulls Wrote: John,

That's similar to what I had in mind and would be very effective. It needs to be magnetic for my Ruby though - I don't think the ageing paintwork would stand up to double side tape!

Peter.

OK Peter,

Stick the reflective tape to this (non-adhesive backed magnetic strip) and then on to Ruby ....... Wink

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-metres-5m-of...Sw-CpYAmgq

John
Hope I'm not repeating what others have said! I wonder if this is what you're looking for?  It's REFLEXITE ECE104+ Red Magnetic Tape and it's RED as is required by law if put on the rear of any vehicle. It's 50mm wide so fits the Ruby rear bumper nicely! When not driving in the dark and at events it can easily be taken off and stored in the car.
Buy a 1m length and cut it in half so you have two 500mm lengths to put at each end of the bumper! I think the link details say it all!
For those who are worried about the front, there's also white to go on the front bumper!  
I'm sure other A7 models will have metal areas it could be put on.

http://www.truckware.co.uk/acatalog/REFL...ml#SID=346