The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TRACKROD GAP
Hi everyone, Could someone tell me if the gap on the arms is correct or should they be shimmed. Replaced the bushes and pins this afternoon. sorry if it's obvious, but I'm new to A7s.
Warm Regards Rob    
I use the rule if it rattles shim it.
It is an area that is subject to wear which was not original shimmed.
Thanks, Dickie. Good answer.
Rpm
I've had problems in the past with MoT inspectors and track rod ends. Inspectors don't like the end float and the fact that the track rod rattles up and down. Similarly, they hate the end float on the kingpins. I try and reduce both to a minimum but with the track rod, you have to be careful to line everything up as you tighten the nuts, otherwise your carefully shimmed joint will have tight spots. Presumably, Austin realised this, that's why the Big 7 components are keyed.
I can't see how the end float could cause any problems. If it rattles it could be annoying.
Jim
AustinWood Wrote:I can't see how the end float could cause any problems. If it rattles it could be annoying.

I know! I tried arguing this fact but the 25 year old MoT man kept insisting that the end float shouldn't be there and indicated "wear"! (Probably true but not a safety issue.)

Good job MoT's are optional these days but I do try and eliminate the end float before the test these days as it just confuses the youngsters Confused
Hi Guys, thanks for the additional info, will try shimming initially and remove if tight. least I now know they weren't fitted at the factory.
regards Rob
Hi 
It looks from your photograph that it is indeed worn, whilst not dangerous I am sure it would not pass an MOT like that.
What I do is build up the inside of the track rod with braze and build up the steering arm with braze.
Then carefully file them flat and parallel to a nice fit (the clearance can be generous) before putting bushes and pins in.
You can normally see where they are worn and therefore where they should be.
Once done you will feel much better and they will look better. Smile

Hope that is helpful.
If spotted, brazing here would, rightly or wrong,  be a w.o.f fail.
Nick do you think brazing affects the heat treatment of the components, if so how do you control that?
Black Art Enthusiast