The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Motorsport UK Period Defined Vehicle ID
To those who race you might want to read Section J page 146 clause 5.1.2, new requirement for a "Period Defined Vehicle Identity Form".

5.1.2. Period Defined Vehicles (Non- Rally) taking advantage of any exemptions for Period Defined Vehicles within the General Regulations must have been issued with either a validated Motorsport UK Period Defined Vehicle Identity Form, an FIA Historic Technical Passport, or an approved Vehicle Identity Form issued by an Motorsport UK Registered Club, which must be presented at Scrutineering. This will be the definitive document defining the vehicle period.
Gosh we are a sad bunch of anoraks, trawling through the minutiae of the Blue Book on a Wednesday evening! I was looking for info regarding LEDs and discovered both in rally and this year in trials regs;

"9.8.3. Auxiliary lamps unless fitted as standard equipment using gas discharge or LED technology are not permitted and gas discharge or LED headlamp units may not be retro fitted"

Hopefully this will be wholly ignored by scrutes examining Sevens, particularly at the Measham. For those of us with any worries about third brush dynamos giving only 6 volts and not many amps, I could find no specific ban on the use of a small pre-1939 generator securely attached to the luggage rack......
For those of you who compete in Race and/or Speed events and are VSCC members, a VSCC 'Buff Form' is a Vehicle Identity Form approved by MSUK for the purposes of J 5.1.2.

Steve
Which takes us back to that most arcane list, what counts in the VSCC as PVT. There is little chance of a Ruby, a Ten or even a Standard Flying Twelve wanting to ascend Prescott or Shelsley, but entry to the Pom is open to almost all, so what would the lack of a buff form mean? Would PWA7C consider issuing suitable documentation for a Seven?
My MSA logbook dates from 1998. Don’t know how many events I’ve done since then but it must be closing on 150. I’ve been asked for it twice.
Alan Fairless
I was planning to take part in this years Measham ,
6volt system with LED lights.
Recently adjusted 3rd brush to 6 amps to get me through the night- thanks to Robert Leigh's advice.
Spoke yesterday to the VSCC, very helpful and due to get back to me tomorrow to clarify the Cheif scruteniers view on this matter.
Not sure why LEDs are an issue, guessing its deemed not to be authentic?
Purely from a safety point of view LEDs are a tremendous improvement. I could take a second battery or further modify with a linked battery but this adds to costs and after all it's a one off event.
It was ment to be a fun evening, non competitive running in the champagne class.
Hopefully the news will be positive but if not I will have to give it a miss.
The requirement for having some form of 'approved' historic vehicle identity form is only if you wish to claim period (safety) exemptions at MSAUK events.

The period will be defined by the specification date of the latest major component of the vehicle.

The major components being; the Chassis, Bodywork/Bodyshell, engine, transmission, brakes, Suspension and Wheels.

Typically A7 vehicles may be claiming exemptions for: not having roll-over protection, not having seat belts, not having mudguards, tyres not on MSAUK lists and not having to wear a frontal head restraint.

Some clubs already use 'approved' vehicle identity forms (VSCC),otherwise the MSAUK want you to fork out £97 for you to fill in a 15 page form with pictures and specification of nearly every component!
The MSAUK vehicle identity form is a direct copy of their Historic rally car vehicle identity form and is not fit for its new purpose.
LEDs are more of a problem with unfocused beams and dazzling other road users. It's not an originality issue as far as I'm aware.
If you're organising an all night road rally you need to keep the public onside.

Charles
(08-01-2020, 09:35 PM)Alan Wrote: My MSA logbook dates from 1998. Don’t know how many events I’ve done since then but it must be closing on 150.  I’ve been asked for it twice.

Alan , you will be delighted to know that your current log book expires on 31st December 2020 !. 
The cost of a new CCLB is £45 , somewhat more than the £ 11 or so than you originally paid.
Geoff
(09-01-2020, 09:47 AM)Paul Nott Wrote: ... Not sure why LEDs are an issue, guessing its deemed not to be authentic? ...
I suspect this is because LED lights are technically not legal on the roads; The Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations require a minimum wattage for headlights to be road legal. LED lights have a wattage far below the legal requirement - for vehicles registered before 1st April 1986 the minimum legal requirement is 30 watts. Unfortunately the Regulations are out of date with current technology, and I very much doubt that anyone would attempt to enforce the Regulations, but presumably the RAC have to be seen to be enforcing them.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/...ule/4/made

https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/blog/a...in-the-uk/