The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Micro Blisters
I have just gone to check on my car , in a single skin garage with fibre roof , and found its developed lots of micro blisters.
Is there a way to get rid of these or is it as drastic as a respray....
Thanks for any comments or thoughts.
I have stored cars and bikes in the same garage before and never had this problem.
Sorry but it’s a respray. Moisture trapped under the paint which manifest itself as blisters , if you had the car painted recently you will have redress on the painter.Moisture in the airline feeding the spraygun.
It is not an automatic respray, well only if you want to make it perfect.

It also has a lot of caused beyond moisture in the airline (and can in fact be solvent as well as moisture.

What we advise customers with this problem on boats is to wait for the warmer weather. When you are sure all the moisture has blistered out, lightly flat and apply a coat of Varnish. (A clear one like we sell at Craftmaster rather than a polyurethane that will yellow).

It isn't impossible to recover the situation but it will require a fair bit of work
My special has micro blisters. Cellulose spray in 1992 but I don't care any more. Regard it as "patina"!
Cheers,
Dave.
If the car stood in grey primer for a while before painting it is possible it drew in moisture.
Thanks to all people that made a relpy....Some interesting ideas to think on. The car was painted well over 10 years ago I would say and had aged well so I was just surprised how within a couple of weeks in my garage it became so blistered.
Thanks Paul
I'd sleep on it before doing anything drastic. I have often noted that when attending static rallies I tend to walk straight past anything with a perfect paint finish. I laboured long and hard to brush paint my car and there are still obvious flaws if you get up close and look at it critically, but I now see them as part of the car's story and nothing to be ashamed of.
I would say it depends on how thick the cellulose paint is. If there is enough thickness of paint it might be possible to reduce the appearance of micro blisters by cutting it back. Any success you may achieve however is fairly short lived as the blisters will reappear. I can only speak from my own experience which may not be the same as other people have had.
Whilst it appears to be a moisture problem and the suggestions are relevant (especially if left in primer for a while before the top coats), there could be a more serious reason.  If the  aluminium was repaired at any time by oxy-welding, it's likely that unless  all traces of the flux have been eliminated before painting. it will work it's way to the surface eventually, even though this may take years to appear.  Prone to happen quicker in damp conditions, but no problem if welding has been done by MIG or TIG.   Good Luck,  Cheers,  Bill
Our Chummy was restored by a previous owner in the early 1960s. It had micro blisters on the bonnet when we bought it from the restorer's widow 35 years ago, but even now they don't seem any worse. It's part of the car's patina, and we are not concours pot-hunters.
Robert Leigh