The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1924 Scottish Six Day Trial...
I wonder if G F Simpson (director) was George F Simpson who drove a Chummy to summit of Ben Nevis in 1928?

Lovely stuff Duncan.
What a superb piece of archive film, well done Duncan for giving us that!   The Austin 7 seemed to do pretty well in the brake test at the end of the trial.
The National Library of Scotland is a brilliant website, as you can get high definition copies of almost every map ever printed in Britain.  I am eager to see what other gems await in the moving image archive.
I particularly liked the chaps on the motorbikes with the fags hanging out of their mouths
while being replenished with Shell at 06.50.
Also, the chap on another bike smoking his pipe while navigating the course at 10.45.
Made me smile.
I noticed a hand with a smouldering gasper supporting the Shell funnel during a fill. Someone must have said something as he withdrew it after a second or two.

In the days of forecourt attendants I was filled up in France by an old chap in bleus-de-travail with a Gauloise in the same hand as the pistolet. I made a comment but he assured me that there wasn't enough air present to allow combustion...I didn't argue but paid and left sharpish.
It wasn't lit;-)
(06-01-2020, 07:32 PM)Duncan Grimmond Wrote: It wasn't lit;-)

They must have read the warnings on the packet...