The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Electric reverse switch for bench lathe
Hi Peter

I do not know (or cannot remember) who knows what so generally assume inexperience! And with some newcomers nowadays  I over estimate that.
I gather the leadscrew handle is used for cutting say bearing oil helixes. 
The Grayson began as a hobbyist type lathe in the 20s.

Where there is a will there is a way. A pity not to use the expensive switch. I am sure if you ponder at leisure the wiring will be evident. There are no links in the 0 position so cannot reverse whilst any winding live. The first group of 4 terminals could switch one mains wire, the next the other. Input wire to 1,3 joined. Output wire from 2,4 joined. Other main 5,7 in, 6,8 out.
As Parazine, there is likely two windings between the mains inputs. The main winding and in complete parallel the start winding. The latter in no particular order probably has centrifugal switch, capacitor, winding. This circuit has to be interrupted at each end and extended. Say this produces wires A, A2 ,B, B2  where A B directly connected to the motor mains input wires and therefore could be picked up with links from (2,4) and (6 8) on the switch rather than run 4 extra wires from the motor.
Link (10,12) to A, 9 to A2, 11 to B2. Link (14,16) to B , 13 to B2, 15 to A2  or somesuch. Hopefully there is no legal convention about which contacts switch which wires.

E and OE!

I had a WP with once thru ribbons. Too expensive so got a box full of another odd  type ribbons very  cheap and used to rewind the spools using lathe in reverse. Fun, provided did not blink.
For others that may be curious, if cutting metric threads  on an imperial lathe the leadscrew cannot be disengaged; reverse very handy if a long thread.

Does the lengthwise feed happen to be reverse of convention?